B4 The Bell, Pre-Weekend April 30

Guest yobob1

The problem with your scenario Tsun is that it currently takes a better credit rating to rent than it does to own. Why? Because you are renting from someone who avctually owns the property and is very concerned with how you might care for it and whether you can actually pay the rent whereas in today's real estate market nobody gives a damn whether you make the first payment or not - they aren't going to be holding the loan. Go long refrigerator carton futures.

Secondly once your 30,000 SUV goes back, the only real car you'll be buying is one with pedals. :lol: In reality once the repos begin the supply of used cars is not in danger - and there's already a ton of them.

Plunger in another 6 months they will put Saddam back in power to restore order.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 billion in market cap lost in Nortel because of exposure of rot

. Here's one and not a good sign, Canadian Tire is now offering Personal Lines of Credit. The selling logo is "Big Money for the Big Stuff." Can't wait for Walmart's PLC, or perhaps Pizza Hut's. They are reaching for straws now. Out of control! Creative credit. The abyss draws ever closer.

Locally, gas up, taxes up, hydro up, housing prices up, Stelco CCAA(Chapter11} Air Canada CCAA, people not flying business class --

Layoffs spiking.....Domtar, Dow Chemical, likely a few more from Nortel, Mitsubishi sales agents, CN's 500 to 1700 people, Celestica's 5000 layoffs and of course Canada's birth rate falls to historic low. Baby boomers begin to retire 2005-6. What lies ahead could become very ugly, unless of course everyone buys Google then all will be saved.

Why? BECAUSE EVERYONE WILL BE SEARCHING FOR JOBS WHILE THEY WAIT FOR NORTEL TO STABLIZE THEIR PENSION PLANS

Secondly once your 30,000 SUV goes back, the only real car you'll be buying is one with pedals. :lol: In reality once the repos begin the supply of used cars is not in danger - and there's already a ton of them.

Plunger in another 6 months they will put Saddam back in power to restore order.

You still have time to set up your high yielding "money market fund" with Ford, the one it is trying to push on its employees and customers. Of course it is firmly secured by all those Expedetion leases (and not the FDIC) so you have nothing to worry about. :D :D :D

Several Canadians on this board - I'm another one B) I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, FL now, but grew up and lived in Edmonton, Alberta until 4 years ago.  It's nice to hear some perspective from north of the border again.  Thanks guys.

twig.

Nice to have a fellow Edmontonian in the house Twig

In exile in Toronto but always a westerner at heart :D

Several Canadians on this board - I'm another one B) I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, FL now, but grew up and lived in Edmonton, Alberta until 4 years ago. It's nice to hear some perspective from north of the border again. Thanks guys.

twig.

Hey Twig:

I'm at Oakland Park and A1A

Several Canadians on this board - I'm another one B) I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, FL now, but grew up and lived in Edmonton, Alberta until 4 years ago.  It's nice to hear some perspective from north of the border again.  Thanks guys.

twig.

Hey Twig:

I'm at Oakland Park and A1A

Almost bought a place in Hermitage several years ago but thought it was too pricey. Probably worth millions now.

Guest yobob1

HB, I'm really not convinced the bottom is in for silver. Before this sell-off the shorts outnumbered the longs 9:1. That probably got more extreme as longs liquidated on the way down. I doubt that the shorts are fully out given the outlandish position. If they had all tried to cover during this brief sell-off we would have seen some pretty large spikes. We got near 5.5 but a mere .3 rise from there doesn't indicate the kind of massive covering needed. This is why I said yesterday that I think we would have some sideways chop for a while as 1 by 1 they sneak out the back door and I still think there's possibly a little more downside. Of course I could be wrong as this is primarily guesswork since you can't get any good view behind the curtain.

March's retail spending was weaker than expected. Wait until you see April. :lol:

Actually the spending will likely stay similar, but where it goes will be different. It would be interesting to see the numbers if you take out gasoline.

LLD,

Lots of Hosers here, eh?

Ya gotta love it!

On gun control I understand it has cost the government hundreds of millions. A flawed and expensive initiative. And of course it accomplishes NOTHING as the only real weapons registered have been ones used in hunting... not crime

Dogsie

Nice to know... One day Ill come a callin to buy you a beer :D

The problem with your scenario Tsun is that it currently takes a better credit rating to rent than it does to own. Why? Because you are renting from someone who avctually owns the property and is very concerned with how you might care for it and whether you can actually pay the rent whereas in today's real estate market nobody gives a damn whether you make the first payment or not - they aren't going to be holding the loan. Go long refrigerator carton futures.

It will not be as bad as you make it sound.

Yes, alot of people will have real pain.

But most will have only VAPOR pain.

Most people will still have cash flow.

It just means that a person that should have never bought the 30,000 SUV will have to buy the $7,000 to $13,000 car.

The person that bought that $250,000 house will have to give it up and just rent.

And people may even start cooking a few of thier meals rather than eating out.

The kids may even have to get a part time job if they want some goodies, rather than the parents takeing out a loan .

That is the kind of shifting people will have to do.

The leader my have RAPED the mess, but life goes on.

Morning Crew- We will open higher, we need a bounce to relieve the Dover Sole condition-don't get excited unless they can get the Spoo's over 1118 on a close. More trouble ahead CNN is running the pix that were released on 60 minutes last nite of U.S. mistreatment of Iraqui prisoners. It may not mean much here but it is page one across the world and a recruiting poster for Al Quackda-Tony Blair will fall over this. Window at the Bell for 30 minutes-helmets on-lock n load! ;)

Archived