B4 The Bell, Frieday, March 5

Brian,

Great story!

About 10 years ago I was at a Civil War Reinactment at Brandywine Station, Va. It is the place of the largest calvary battle. Alfred Pleasenton vs. Jeb Stuart. And it was the first battle were the North held their own against the Confederates. Anyway I got to meet and talk to Sam Elliott which made my day as I am a fan of his. He was there to help save this historical area from suburban development.

P.S. my wife's great, great grandfather Alfred Kenyon was a Lt in Co.C 13th Pa. Calvary and was in this battle. He was wounded (shot through the lung) shortly thereafter at the battle of St. Mary's Church. He was sent home with a pension but died a few years later.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How were things in 1954?? well we drove to California from Vancouver in my Dad's new 54 Pontiac stratosphere which he had ordered in 1953-cause it took a full year for delivery, it was my Dads second new car and he was in his 40's. We were at war with the North Koreans and the Chinese and Commanding General douglas mcArthur had finally pushed the Chinese back over the 49th parallel . McArthur said I can be in Peking in 3 months-President Truman said you are fired. If Truman had listened what a different world it would be-but you know the politicians always screw it up. They ask the Forces to fight (and they do) and then the Pols choke-they always do! ;)

Brain,

There is a very good western that came out this past year and is now on DVD.

"Open Range" Western

2 hrs. 15 min. Following the day-to-day encounters of four cattle herders who roam the countryside without owning a particular piece of land, or "freegrazers" (Costner, Duvall, Luna, Benrubi), living in the final years of the Wild West, this film tells the story of how they eventually team up to rid a burgeoning remote town, Harmonville, from the machinations of a ruthlessly evil rancher, Baxter (Gambon), who forms a sort of "outlaw state" where he makes the laws and rules, and enforces them using scare tactics and brute force.

About 12 years ago at a trade show in Atlanta-late at night-I got in a debate with a Virginian (he deep in a bottle of Wild Turkey me in a bottle of Crown Royal) he said we Canadians didn't understand Americans because our Nation wasn't born in Blood and his was- my view then and now was WTF is he talking about??? ;)

About 12 years ago at a trade show in Atlanta-late at night-I got in a debate with a Virginian (he deep in a bottle of Wild Turkey me in a bottle of Crown Royal) he said we Canadians didn't understand Americans because our Nation wasn't born in Blood and his was- my view then and now was WTF is he talking about??? ;)

Washington did an excelent job with the troops he had, but it was bloody somtimes. The French naval blockage in the general area of Virginia was critical to trapping the British army and forcing an end to the war. That Virginian has a bad memory problem.

In the very town where I live (in New Jersey), Lafayette and a small number of French stayed here for awhile to coordinate political moves between Washington and France during the revolutionary war. There is even a monument to Lafayette here, and the main street named after him.

Brian,

I don't know WTF he was talking about either, did you enlighten him on the Canadians rolls in these bloody conflicts. French-Indian Wars, American Revolution, War of 1812, Rebellion of 1837, Fenian Raids, Red River Rebellion, Nile Expedition, North West Rebellion, South African War (Boer War), WWI, Siberian Expeditionary Force, Spanish Civil War, WWII, Korean War, Gulf War and Peacekeeping Missions.

B4,

Crown Royal is Canadian, long live Canadians. What's up with Candian Oil Sands Trust. They were down $6US Friday on reports that Syncrude Estimates for Stage 3 expansion: "The best current estimate from Syncrude is that the project will reach mechanical completion in early 2006, rather than mid 2005, and be in service by mid 2006. This extended completion date is expected to increase total capital costs to approximately $7.8 billion compared to the September 2002 estimate of $5.7 billion"

New IBM Jobs Can Mean Fewer Jobs Elsewhere

By WILLIAM M. BULKELEY

Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Last month, International Business Machines Corp. said it would add 5,000 workers in the U.S. this year, an announcement partly aimed at blunting criticism of its plans to move thousands of jobs abroad in 2004.

But a closer look at IBM's hiring and layoff practices shows it may actually wind up extinguishing more U.S. jobs in the economy at large than it creates this year -- even while adding a little to its own payroll.

To explain that anomaly it helps to understand the company's big business in "outsourcing." Although the term has come to mean shipping U.S. jobs abroad, it also describes the practice of companies hiring IBM and others to take over their computer rooms, payroll departments or other work.

Under such contracts, which have been common for years, IBM promises to cut the client's cost of technology spending, or at least make it more predicable. As part these agreements, IBM usually hires the employees of the client company -- sometimes thousands of them -- who handle the work being transferred. Such outsourcing now brings in about $15 billion a year for IBM, representing 17% of its revenue and much of its growth prospects.

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB1078701...e_whats_news_us

I think someone here predicted this.

Archived