Shocking News Hits Market

All last week I'd planned, if the market was up strongly, to take a short position on the market with BRPIX on Friday. It was an emotional flyer kind of thing but figured as a probable quick trade the risk reward wasn't too bad. Then I heard the story about the terror alert. I won't go short on that kind of thing. That's just me I guess.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I can tell, the only purpose behind the terror alerts is to inoculate the urban masses to seeing jackbooted storm troopers and dogs in the street. Any crazy fanatic terror group worthy of the name would have blown up a few shopping malls during shopping season. B)

A SANITY-CLAUSE RALLY!

I assume SM futs are down on the terror alert-Betcha a buck they recover most of their losses by the open tomorrow--it should be a no-brainer-Open em down--let the put buyers in-then take the mkt straight up for a 50-100 pt gain! A Sanity-Clause-[thanks Groucho!]- rally!

S & P 500(CME)(Globex) Mar 1082.40 1082.40 1080.50 1080.70 -4.70

NASDAQ 100(CME)(Globex) Mar 1418.00 1422.00 1418.00 1419.00 -9.50

DJIA Index a/c/e (CBOT) Mar 10199 10199 10191 10194 -43

Fact...

All the system can do is inflate debt...

Fact...

If debt inflation slows or stops the system begins to implode, implodes...

Fact...

Hyperinflation leaves a paper trail right back to the culprits...who considering what we have to lose or will lose will be hunted down like dogs and exterminated...

Fact...

There has been more than enough debt deflationary pressure built up in the past 40 years to cause mindblowing economic damage right now...there is no realistic need that I can think of to institute hyperinflationary policies...the system can be put out of it's misery at anytime...all that is needed is a powerfull scapegoat to cover the culprits tracks...

Fact...

At some point (soon) they, "the culprits", will have to make a choice...

Commit suicide (them) or mass murder (Us)

400,000+ per week for the last 52 weeks have been FED into the metaphorical burning pits of diesel already...

I think the choice has already been made...

A scapegoat will seal the deal...

but I've never really seen the US markets pay much attention to what other world markets did the night before.

All Ords has quite a good record of preempting US market, Dozer, think that's what Bris is saying....

As far as I can tell, the only purpose behind the terror alerts is to inoculate the urban masses to seeing jackbooted storm troopers and dogs in the street. Any crazy fanatic terror group worthy of the name would have blown up a few shopping malls during shopping season. B)

If I remember correctly both the Riyadh and Bali bombings came after similarly worded nebulous terror alerts, so I wouldn't be surprised if something materializes with this one.

On the other hand we could also wake up to a major banner headline in the next ten days announcing some major plot that's foiled and a cell rolled up, designed to inspire patriotism and confidence in the Homeland Security leadership.

All Ords has quite a good record of preempting US market, Dozer, think that's what Bris is saying....

really aussie ?

i've not noticed any significant correlation before.

sounds like you've done a study of this.

if you have a chart, i'd love to see it.

tanks!

G'day AB,

i agree the All Ords is a fairly reliable indicator for the US markets,as is Newscorp,although the latter is probably more company specific,with the Direct TV deal going thru,Aussie dollar having a mild correction etc,etc...as to the Nikkei,thats all over the place like a mad womens shit,it tells you nothing.. :huh: ,same as the futures,means nothing at all.

whichever way they think they'll get the most mileage Madame, I suppose.

it's so easy to roll up those cells....when they manage them in the first place :P

I can never forget that o-sammy has been on the cia payroll for years and years...

yup, the nickme did kinda flatten out....actually, everything flattened out....gold, doolar, oil.

let's not forget oil.....or more specifically, that it's costing us 33 bucks a barrel now...and showing no signs of going back down.

someone posted recently that the refiners were getting killed lately; as retail prices were not being 'allowed' to rise.

sure is strange to see retail-gas prices supressed...that's a new one! :P

oil inventory in US is at record low...

When that retail pump price is allowed to go, it will explode north. But you see, there is no inflation. Report earlier of another Iraq pipeline on fire. Humm. I'm guessing that the central planners will attempt to hold back prices as long as they can and then we get Hyper's scapegoat. Should be sooner rather than later. B)

Gadaffi laying down his arms - scares the crap out of me

Lawrence of Arabia, Four Feathers - I have seen them all

the Arabs have been doing it for centuries

and I live in a major metro area and GW is

doing my negotiating :blink:

Oh well least the market's back to normal

if you bought something small cappish, in technology,

with no profits, 12 months ago you'd be up 400%

fundamentals - puleease - about as trustworthy as faniticals :P

read an article a while back on prubear where a knowledgeable source argued (with numbers and graphs) that high oil prices were "historically" bullish for US - and hence US equity markets. The basic reasoning was that the ME countries, when they come into money, spend loads of it to build infrastructure and the US companies were the beneficiaries. I wonder if the new handshake with Libya is not part of a plan to push oil up and role the money into heavy buying of US goods, you know, airplanes, computers, etc. etc. It's a win-win for the Bush clan and can defuse the ME hostilities so long as everyone is getting a piece of the pie. Bullish in my opinion when you see the wink and nod.

I have been thinking that we could have a sharp pullback, enough to get bears excited, followed by a powerful snap back to at least where we are now. This would all happen by the time the market closes on the 23rd. This means that shorts already held could be profitable or at least recovered some if not totally if they are currently at a loss. It would also mean that new shorts taken on this down move would be damaged on the powerful snap back that would likely continue during the following two 1/2 trading days of the week, the 24th and the 26th, and beyond.

A new short would best have to be a quick and nimble daytrade. If this is correct, the bigger opportunity would be a buying one for the snap back ride up.

Happy Holidays to all, and best wishes for the experience of peace and love beyond this season. With all that is happening in the world today, this will have to be an experience that takes place within the consciousness of each and every one of us personally, and within the close ties and communities we construct- just as it has always been, in all times.

Noel.

Archived