Shocking News Hits Market

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have it. I swear.

I'm sure this is just an isolated incident...I mean how can big companies like Bank of America and Citibank be involved in Cayman hedge funds that result in billions of dollars being lost into a black hole? Who would have thought?

But success began to sour in November, when Parmalat reported an investment of 500 million euros in Epicurum, a hedge fund based in Cayman Islands. The company then sought to calm investors by saying it would recover the money, but has been unable to do so. The company has also disclosed that a Citigroup vehicle ? Buconero, or "black hole" in Italian ? had invested in a Parmalat unit, which then lent the money to other parts of the company.

Last week, Standard & Poor's cut its credit rating on Parmalat eight notches to junk. On Friday, S.&P. lowered its rating to D ? for default ? its lowest rating.

Shares of Parmalat plunged 66 percent today and have fallen 87 percent since the beginning of this month. The Tanzi family, which still owns 51 percent of the company, has seen its holdings shrivel up.

If you use Elliott Waves-we have on numerous occasions had 3 to six day shallow pullbacks which trace out 5 waves down and then comes enough of a rally to negate the signal.  This morning Nazy hit 1963 as an intra day high and then pulled back-on Monday if Nazy exceeds todays 1963 high you have a clear 5 waves up from the Dec.16 low of 1901 and Nazy is off to the races to the upside.

B4, I just came across this in a book called The Vandals' Crown by Gregory J. Millman, which was recommended by a fellow Stoolie. This is NOT consistent with what you'll hear from Bob Prechter, so it may or may not be accurate. But here goes:

... having developed a severe case of anemia, [Elliott] returned to Los Angeles, where he lapsed into a coma. He spent the years 1929-33 drifting in and out of consciousness. He had blacked out at the height of the Jazz Age, and came to in the depths of the Great Depression. He began to piece together the past -- not his own, but the market's. He saw that portentous price waves had augured the bull run of the 1920s and foreshadowed the crash and the depression. Elliott classified these waves into two main groups ...

Oh man ... can you imagine having fallen into a coma in March 2000, with the Nasdaq at 5,000 and apparently headed for 6,000 within weeks. You wake up in Oct. 2002 and the bloody Naz is at 1,200 ... OMG!

You go back through the charts (totally unfamiliar to you), and the wave structure of the decline -- as well as the preceding advance -- is oh-so-clear in retrospect. I would have sold short here, briefly covered here, then shorted again there. And on $100,000 starting capital, I would have ended up with ... $127 million. YAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Hence the title of Elliott's 1946 book: Nature's Law -- The Secret of the Universe.

Anyway, I love that bit about "he began to piece together the past -- not his own, but the market's." Sounds mysterious and heroic, doesn't it?

B4, I just came across this in a book called The Vandals' Crown by Gregory J. Millman, which was recommended by a fellow Stoolie. This is NOT consistent with what you'll hear from Bob Prechter, so it may or may not be accurate. But here goes:

Oh man ... can you imagine having fallen into a coma in March 2000, with the Nasdaq at 5,000 and apparently headed for 6,000 within weeks. You wake up in Oct. 2002 and the bloody Naz is at 1,200 ... OMG!

You go back through the charts (totally unfamiliar to you), and the wave structure of the decline -- as well as the preceding advance -- is oh-so-clear in retrospect. I would have sold short here, briefly covered here, then shorted again there. And on $100,000 starting capital, I would have ended up with ... $127 million. YAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Hence the title of Elliott's 1946 book: Nature's Law -- The Secret of the Universe.

Anyway, I love that bit about "he began to piece together the past -- not his own, but the market's." Sounds mysterious and heroic, doesn't it?

I guess when he died, the whole history of the stock market passed before his eyes.

Yep...Brian4, I agree. The Fed's reflation machine has struck! While the dollar is tanking, everything else, including commodities, has gone up.

We have no idea where the rally will end.

Every pull back is light while rallies are strong.

However, if the market sniffs out higher interest rates or the Bank of Japan starts selling bonds (unlikely but we can hope) then anything could happen. Any unexpected crisis could change things quickly.

I want to also point out that many people think that the housing bubble will never pop. Maybe not now, but higher interest rates down the road will definitely pop the bubble. This, in turn, could effect other parts of the economy including the stock market, maybe because of a reduction in liquidity or just pure anxiety over housing. I think there is more riding on housing than we know, it is the last trough that the Sheeple can drink from.

Also, I know many here will completely disagree with me, but the dollar tanking seems to have had a positive effect on the stock market. It has acted like an inflation machine on the market. The market has rallied in the face of a falling dollar. It is almost as if the cost of the stock goes up with the tanking of the dollar.

So, when will this end? Who knows, but the dollar actually GAINING value would cause me to start watching the downside again.

Also, I know many here will completely disagree with me, but the dollar tanking seems to have had a positive effect on the stock market. It has acted like an inflation machine on the market. The market has rallied in the face of a falling dollar. It is almost as if the cost of the stock goes up with the tanking of the dollar.

So, when will this end? Who knows, but the dollar actually GAINING value would cause me to start watching the downside again.

True so true, there is a negative correlation between the dollar and the markets. This started in early April and has lasted since. The key to this whole rally is the dollar. My indicators show a rally in the dollar soon and if this correlation holds, then we will see downside in the markets. I am suprised that no one has noticed this until now.

Anything can happen!

Archived