New Market Stats Page

The new stats and thumbnail charts window, likey, or no likey  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In order to help speed up page loading to help those on dial up connections, I have moved the Kitco charts and the Barchart Markets applet to a small popup page that loads quickly. The links are at the top right and bottom center of the page and in the left menu. I have also removed the Hitbox counter. These changes should help the page load more quickly. To speed up loading you can also go to your profile and change board settings to reduce the number of posts per page, and not load avatars and signatures. If you are a lurker, you'll need to register to avail yourself of these options.

Hope this helps.

I'm also working on more frequent updates to the Wall Street Urinal news feed. I hope you are enjoying this new feature as well. The links to this are also at the top right and bottom center of the page and in the left menu. The Urinal and market stats can be toggled in the same window for your convenience.

I invite your comments and feedback.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the new design. One possible improvement is to make the page with the Kitco charts auto-refresh at user-configurable intervals - I think I sent you an example page in the past, demonstrating how to achieve this with JavaScript.

I also see that the attached images now appear only as clickable thumbnails in the posts. This, I don't like that much - although I like the too-wide charts that some people persist posting even less... How configurable is this issue? For instance, can you:

1) Make the whole setting user-configurable? That is, readers should be able to choose whether to see thumbnails or whole images.

2) Control the size of the thumbnails? For instance, can you make the slightly bigger so that at least the basic features of the charts are seen?

3) "Thumbnalize" only the charts wider than a certain size and leave the others alone?

Regards,

Vesselin

Yaeh, I made the thumbnails larger. Smaller charts will come in full size. Not that much difference in page load speed. Bont, I love the auto refresh idea. Feel free to send the code. There's a teensy problem with advertisers though. Auto refresh is a no no. But I'll look into it.

Well, I like the Kitco info. With so many participants now watching Gold and Silver so closely, it seems the wrong timing to drop the feature. With the Dolar playng such a prominate role as well ... the info is vital.

Thanks for the ear...

Hadj :huh: ???- The feature is not dropped. It's just on a separate page that you can leave open in the background and refresh as needed.

I, for one, tries to minimise the amounts of windows I have open at one time :blink:

I like reading the last post and then have a quick glance at gold, silver and USD.

Dropping the Kitco graphs definately speeds things up, even under high speed connections. However I miss having the current gold/silver/spx quote during market hours handy. May I suggest that the spot market quotes only appear

in the left hand column, in addition to opening up the new page (see the Indicators section on the kitco home page for an example).

I also like Bonchev's suggestions, and I am more unhappy with the wide graphs than the additional loading time of Kitco charts.

Bont, I love the auto refresh idea. Feel free to send the code. There's a teensy problem with advertisers though. Auto refresh is a no no. But I'll look into it.

Ooops, you mean, you lost the code I sent you before? :lol: OK, I'm not being entirely fair - the previous auto-refresh trick was somewhat different. There, the problem was to auto-referesh an image (or a couple of images) on a Web page; here you want to refresh the whole page. The best I could do is put the page in an IFRAME. (Yes, I know. IFRAMEs are evil. Anyone, feel free to suggest a better way.) Take a look at this and see whether it suits your needs.

What's the problem with the advertising? The page, as constructed, does not auto-refresh tiself by default. It starts auto-refreshing only if the user selects an auto-refresh interval different from "Never" (the default). How is this different from the user refreshing the page manually or by using the built-in auto-refresh feature of some browser that is a bit less brain-dead than MSIE (e.g., AvantBrowser or MyIE2)?

Regards,

Vesselin

Archived