A Scientific Quiz

Both Doc and I, from time to time, have cautioned here about the risks and evils of compulsive gambling and how important it is to recognize the early warning signs.

Now, at long last, Dave Barry of The New York Daily News has published a a very easy test to enable one to determine if he or she has any of these tendencies. While presented in a non S&M context, it should be easy to draw parallels here.

Gambling is a huge industry that has caused many people to become addicted, possibly including you. To find out, take this test:

A Scientific Quiz to Determine If You Are a Compulsive Gambler

1. Do large men sometimes come around and break your thumbs?

2. Have you ever lunged across a table and tried to strangle a 73-year-old grandmother simply because she said, "Bingo"?

3. Have you ever, after gambling away all your money and pawning all your possessions, asked yourself: "Hey, why do I need TWO kidneys?"

4. Have you ever attempted to place a bet on the chariot race in "Ben Hur"?

5. If so, did you bet AGAINST Charton Heston, your reasoning being that, hey, one of these times he has to lose?

6. Have you ever wagered money that you should have used to feed your children?

7. Have you ever wagered your actual children?

If you answered "yes" to any one of these questions, the odds are that you are a compulsive gambler.

The preceding was brought to you as a public service and, with that being said, I wish you all a very safe and enjoyable weekend. :)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just hedged my CHF position that has increased by 400% in value in the last month. Hated to do it because it limits my upside but last time I got greedy and missed taking the profits.

I have been toying with an idea for RYVNX that may interest you guys. You can hold a core position in Ryvnx. Buy an offsetting amount of QQQ so that you are essentially flat.

Simply buy and sell the QQQ during intraday swings if you want to day trade. This allows you to drastically cut down on the premiums. It also gives you the great 200% RYVNX leverage without a time penalty.

In essence you can exit and enter RYVNX intraday. Worst case you buy enough QQQs to hedge your core position and sell whenever things get toppy.

I'll need to do some math on the equivalent amount of QQQ you will need to be flat with a set position in RYVNX. Maybe someone else out there has already done this.

Think I'll do this on a small basis as a test.

Doc doesn't know the stock symbols on all the stuff stoolies like to play with. If it's not a big cap let's get in the habit of mentioning the name. The only symbols I know are SPY QQQ, AhOL and BM. After that I have a problem. :wink2:

MD, you said in the morning thread that NAZ is resting on the 50-day MA. Uh, what are you looking at? conf.gif The 50-dma for the COMPX is at 1380.67 for today. We've been below it all the time today - didn't even come close to approaching it.

Regards,

Vesselin

Just hedged my CHF position that has increased by 400% in value in the last month. Hated to do it because it limits my upside but last time I got greedy and missed taking the profits.

I have been toying with an idea for RYVNX that may interest you guys. You can hold a core position in Ryvnx. Buy an offsetting amount of QQQ so that you are essentially flat.

Simply buy and sell the QQQ during intraday swings if you want to day trade. This allows you to drastically cut down on the premiums. It also gives you the great 200% RYVNX leverage without a time penalty.

In essence you can exit and enter RYVNX intraday. Worst case you buy enough QQQs to hedge your core position and sell whenever things get toppy.

I'll need to do some math on the equivalent amount of QQQ you will need to be flat with a set position in RYVNX. Maybe someone else out there has already done this.

Think I'll do this on a small basis as a test.

I've tried/am trying, but I keep getting so greedy on the core RYVNX position I don't have enough margin to fully hedge. That, and hating being long.

Also, I'm lame enough to have double whopsawed my self, at which point I soak my head in a bucket of ice water. This prevents me from following the action on the screen.

Archived