Hard Candy

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stool Pigeons Wire -> 6 anno ?

When you log in, there is a checkbox that regulates whether your name is to be shown on the list of people currently reading the forum. If you check it, it is not shown (like mine currently isn't) - and you're counted as an "anonymous user".

Another interesting thing is that the forum shows for most people the IP number of the machine they are using to read the forum (or at least that of the last proxy in the chain). But for Doc, that number is blanked. I wonder what setting controls this...

Regards,

Vesselin

Dr. B, completely off-topic, what is life like for the average Bulgarian these days?

Well, I haven't lived in Bulgaria for almost 12 years already (I only visit during my annual vacation), so I don't really know what is it to live there... Let me put it this way - there probably is a reason why I moved to Iceland, despite that it's in the middle of nowhere, the daylight is 2 hours in December and it doesn't rain mostly when it isn't snowing... ;)

You might also want to read an article I posted there for some impressions of what living there looked like while I was still doing it.

Regards,

Vesselin

The noose tightens:

NEW YORK, Dec 23 (Reuters) - A group of insurers won a small victory against J.P. Morgan Chase (NYSE:JPM - News) on Monday when a judge ruled that internal e-mails written by a senior member of the bank's staff referring to "disguised loans" could be used as evidence in an ongoing trial.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/021223/financial_j...an_trial_1.html

Stool Pigeons Wire -> 6 anno ?

When you log in, there is a checkbox that regulates whether your name is to be shown on the list of people currently reading the forum. If you check it, it is not shown (like mine currently isn't) - and you're counted as an "anonymous user".

Tanks, Dr. Bon

Is AgentSmith a lawrdawg?

Software engineer - java, jdbc, oracle, unix shell scripting, xml, dom, sax, etc. So I just work for them bastiches. :angry:

Can't wait for the start of next year to get through year-end ramp job...then whoever it is that chants...'HERE WE GO BEARS, HERE WE GO' can pipe up again. :grin:

Borrow till death do us part

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...pe/debt_limit_2

It's sad, but this is the road they chose...time to pay the piper. I am the cure.

AgentSmith

Dr. B, completely off-topic, what is life like for the average Bulgarian these days?

You might also want to read an article I posted there for some impressions of what living there looked like while I was still doing it.

Regards,

Vesselin

A very interesting post, Dr. B.

The rationing in the U.S. was during World War II. I found a few ration tickets when I cleaned out my uncle's apartment several years ago. People were allowed to buy only certain amounts of gasoline, meat, sugar, and certain imported foods. Also tires, being made at that time only from Latin American rubber, were rationed.

I think about this when we look at our oil dependence -- no oil means no synthetic plastics, rubber, etc. Like chocolate? We don't grow it here. Like to wear shoes? We make very few here. Etc., etc., etc., unfortunately.

The one thing we may be able to get, as long as there is some oil imported, is Polartech fleece from Malden Mills in Massachusetts (they also used recycled plastic bottles). The owner refused to lay off his workers several years ago when a fire destroyed his factory, and paid them out of his own pocket until the new factory was built. Now, he has had to go into bankruptcy but pledges to fully repay all creditors -- he has just received a contract from the U.S. government for army gear using polartech (instead of old-fashioned, heavy wool). This guy is one of the few examples of an ethical CEO that we've seen in a long time -- of course, this doesn't make headlines the way the supposed "punishing" of Wall Street does. (Minneapolis paper had an article yesterday -- headline: "How Wall Street was brought down." Yeah right.)

Archived