"DEATH to anyone guilty of debasing the money"

i hope that the "bear only" thread will sooner be deleted than that it was introduced.

It were 2 or 3 people who made bullsih yahoo board like talk, not more. Sometimes i just didnt read anymore what they wrote. What is so difficult with that?

I wont the stoolies to be united. We need a strong community to survive thsi market and not seperation.

I'm going to give it another day and see if it works out any better with the two threads. It's a royal pain for me since I like to hear both sides. Oh well. :huh:

I agree Col. It was never about "bull" or "bear". It was about abusive posts without substance. Uncivilized discourse (i.e., insulting another stoolie rather than an intelligent rebuttal).

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad,

Almost every one of those Constitutional prohibitions is routinely violated. The pettifoggers point out that "no state" is allowed to commit these evils. Of course, the original concept was that the federal government would answer to its masters, the states. That's been inverted too.

But the fact remains that these things were viewed as evils, whichever party committed them.

What happens to societies founded on cognitive dissonance, who swear fealty to ancient documents and principles, even as they invert their meaning? The examples (as you say) are strewn throughout history, from Moses to the Mayans.

The system can't be fixed. We're better off planning how to pick up the pieces after it breaks, assuming we get the chance. Soon they'll be driving the bus off the cliff. Brace!

At some point I started to view bureaucracies as the societal equivalent of cancer.

Both will grow unchecked and spread throughout the body/society, consuming the body's/society's resources and eventually killing/destroying the host.

Guest yobob1

Let em pump. The "well" has gone bad. Instead of oil to fan the flames of "inflation", they may now be pumping water. It appears we have crossed the line and additional pumping may backfire. Capital misallocation only grows more extreme from already historic heights. This is all going to end very badly and probably a lot sooner than most suspect.

Think about shorting copper. Inventories are very high, excess mine capacity, debt loads prevent mine closures. Homes and autos consume a lot of copper. Do you think auto and home sales are going to rise from here?

Like Fleck and Lewis say, increased hate mail is a good indicator of a top. Stool equivalent of this is bull/bear discord (mostly by the former directed aginst the later).

This is becoming like the congested freeway traffic around Dallas. The tollways are much safer and easier travelled. 'Will be a Stooltrading fool as soon as I make a payment to get back under my $250,000 credit limit on my 0% interest CapitalOne card.

Temporary Open Market Operations 07/11/2003

Maturity Date 07/14/2003

Delivery Date 07/11/2003

The Desk has entered the market announcing: O/W RP

Temporary Operations Statistics

Treasury

Collateral

Operation Agency

Collateral

Operation Mortgage-Backed

Collateral

Operation

Weighted Average Rate

.945 .990 N/A

Stop Out Rate (Lowest Rate Accepted) .940 .990 N/A

Highest Rate Submitted .950 .990 .970

Lowest Rate Submitted .900 .930 .920

Total Propostions Submitted (In $Bil.) 17.300 6.200 1.400

Total Propositions Accepted (In $Bil.) 1.550 .200 .000

Total Money Value of Operation (In $Bil.) 1.75

Think about shorting copper. ?Inventories are very high, excess mine capacity, debt loads prevent mine closures. ?Homes and autos consume a lot of copper. ?Do you think auto and home sales are going to rise from here?

I've had copper on my long 'wish list' for a year, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Hey - I see the basis for another bet here. If you lose, you can round up enough copper wire from those abandoned subdivisions to make your payment to Doktor Stool. :lol:

No - I don't think auto and home sales rise from here. But we can sell to China after the devaluation (our devaluation). $1.40/lb copper will look cheap in yuan. :o

Let em pump. The "well" has gone bad. Instead of oil to fan the flames of "inflation", they may now be pumping water. It appears we have crossed the line and additional pumping may backfire. Capital misallocation only grows more extreme from already historic heights. This is all going to end very badly and probably a lot sooner than most suspect.

From minyanville.com

The Fed can do much to affect the supply of money but not much about the velocity of money. The velocity of money is the propensity to spend the cash once it is there; it is the demand for cash. Just because there is more money doesn?t mean people have to spend, lend, or invest it (these increase the velocity of money). They can save it (this does not). In order for an increase in the supply of money to have a stimulative affect, the velocity of money must stay at least constant.

This is the problem that the Fed is worrying about now and Japan has been suffering from for the last several years. There is little doubt that lower interest rates and excess liquidity has created mounds of debt. There is much doubt that it is spurring higher economic activity because the overall velocity of money has dropped commensurately with the increase in the supply. The catch is that higher debt causes the velocity of money to go down.

The Fed has little influence over people?s propensity to invest or save the excess liquidity. Normally lower interest rates not only encourage people to spend more on consumption, but also to seek out alternative investments to fixed rate securities, such as stocks. As mentioned, the aggressive increase in the supply of money over the last several quarters has not had this effect to the extent necessary to stimulate satisfactory growth.

In order to affect the velocity of money, the Fed has been thinking outside the box and has suggested, through papers written by some Fed staffers, that they may employ some very unorthodox methods. The Fed knows that a higher stock market through the wealth effect may increase the velocity of money. The Financial Times reported in January that the Fed has mulled over the possibility of directly buying stocks, corporate bonds, and even real assets such as commodities. Another method suggested is a stamp tax on currency. Sit down before you read on. This would involve a tax to hold currency. Deposit your cash at the bank, and they will charge you 1% a month to hold it!

Why has the velocity of money stalled? In my mind you can sum it up in two thoughts: high debt and over capacity.

Archived