Now yer torquin!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saint Louis Fed has a new study of gold standard versus price standard. A quick read tells me it will be used as ammo for an inflation targeting effort by the Fed. After a long day's trading you may want to check it out.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/wp/2003/2003-014.pdf

Bear, I suspect you are right about the possible use of this data.

Figures lie, and liars figure.

These guys work a great case of curve fitting - reminds me of the guys that love to show the 1931-33 Dow or the 90's Niklkei fitted over the current Dow, and then try to infer that we are doing the same thing, and for all the same reasons. Sorry, but things don't have to work that way at all, especially since curves that resemble each other may do so for radically different reasons.

Plus, FED and economics wonks (and for that matter, technical analysis wonks) like this are no better than wonks of any kind.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."

Figures lie, and liars figure.

These guys work a great case of curve fitting - reminds me of the guys that love to show the 1931-33 Dow or the 90's Niklkei fitted over the current Dow, and then try to infer that we are doing the same thing, and for all the same reasons. Sorry, but things don't have to work that way at all, especially since curves that resemble each other may do so for radically different reasons.

Plus, FED and economics wonks (and for that matter, technical analysis wonks) like this are no better than wonks of any kind.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."

uh, excuse me? You just trashed my work on the Nikkiu and Nasdaq similarities. <_>

The charts are nearly identical, right to the current time frame and the reasons are similar. Of course, the proof will be in the market's behavior over the next year.

Today could be a big down day...so far they hold 1000 steady but the selloff may come later...what's fun with riverboating if the damn boat is blown up... :grin:

Archived