True Grit

(AP) For five days alone and adrift at sea, there was nothing for 12-year-old Rivano Cabenda to hold onto but a small piece of driftwood and thoughts of his grandmother in Suriname.

Without water or food, Cabenda managed to stay alive for a week until he washed ashore 94 miles up the coast in Guyana. He was sunburned, dehydrated and bloodied from a deep cut on his foot and scratches on his legs.

"I thought I was going to die," . . .

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad..............

Great opening.....................Very Inspirational.....................

Speaking of True Grit....................Being a Bear nowadays..........demands True Grit..............

I wonder if there are any left............................

Onto Friday the 13th............................

Fairly nice discussion on Bloomberg TV between Gary Shilling (bond bull) and Tobias Lefkovich (Solomon - stock bull) - the latter comes off as usual as an uppity know-it-all.

some good stuff you don't see on TV every day. Shilling was focused on deflation and made some interesting points like "most people in business now have never dealt with it". But he tried to differentiate between "good deflation" and "bad deflation", saying the former was caused by too much supply as opposed to lack of demand, then gave an example of price declines caused by technology advances are good deflation. Not sure I bought all of that, but otherwise he was pretty good.

Looks like $30 oil might be here for a while: I remember Krudlow saying before the war that we could be pumping oil out of Iraq to pay for the war while it was still going on. Well, I remember some guy in a flight suit telling me the war was over, but even now protecting the infrastructure is not easy:

Turkish FM: Iraq Oil Pipeline Fire Was Sabotage

Good morning Stoolheads!

Your Golden Stool is posted. Your Golden Stool charts the price of Gold and HUI Long, including Doc's commentary with short and long term cycle price targets. If you're a gold bug, you shouldn't miss this daily feature of your Anals of Stock Proctology, the Scholarly Journal of the American Society of Shortsellers (ASS). Subscribe today. Support your ASS and get instant access to the Anals. Click Here

lots of anal cysts up late last night:

7:02AM Early Research Calls

7:02AM Early Research Calls : Deutsche Bank downgrading INTC from Buy to Neutral, leaves price target at $22.. BofA upgrading ORCL from Neutral to Buy.. UBS cutting BZH to Neutral from Buy; firm also cutting Healthcare facility names LPNT, CYH and UHS to Neutral from Buy... Lehman lowering DRI rating from Overweight to Equal-Weight on a slower growth outlook; also lowering ATR from Overweight to Equal weight.. JP Morgan initiating coverage on COGN with Overweight and BOBJ with Neutral rating; also initiating coverage on HYSL with Overweight... FD upped to Buy at UBS... MBG raised to Buy at Deutsche and to Overweight at JP Morgan... JMP Sec downgrading MERQ to Mkt Perform from Mkt Outperform as large ERP players consolidate. After the close, Deutsche started coverage of NTIQ, RHAT, ATRS and MERQ at Buy.

Also from above web page:

SCOX - look out above?:

7:24AM SCO Group might be due for significant payout -- B-Week (SCOX) 9.05: SCO Group, which provides UNIX-based software and is the owner of the license to distribute the UNIX platform, might receive $1 bln from a previous lawsuit it filed in Mar against IBM.

and don't forget to buy, buy, buy those dips: <_<

7:26AM Adobe Systems upgraded to Buy at WR Hambrecht (ADBE) 35.98: The upgrade from Hold comes after ADBE posted Q2 upside but delivered disappointing guidance. ... Hambrecht recommends purchase of stock below $33 or so, which it thinks the shares are headed today.

Lance Lewis:

"Things are so completely disconnected from reality and running on momentum/performance derby fumes that nothing would shock me at this point. In the meantime, over the next couple weeks, I suspect we will see the VIX slip below 20, just as it has done near the peak of every major bear market rally of the last three years"

Probably true, Lance has become pretty adept at understanding the machinations of The Matrix. The Bulls have the rest of the month in their corner, by default: OPEX, FOMC, EOM. No GMTFO underground activity uncovered just yet. 10Sigmoids are not part of the New Program.

The pasture could't be greener for the Bulls.

Still Hail-Mary short for pocket change. The only sure thing is that this will all change...some day.

Guest bullseatshitndie

anybody think we head to top daily b. band today up near 1015??

not ruling it out. i'd prefer to not retest highs and get a reversal day so that the 10day ma could be broken down next week, but don't see that happening.

You bears are just plain dumb. Chris Plummer at Marketwatch says so -

Market bears who now refuse to return to their caves for an overdue slumber harp on the fact that the S&P 500's price-to-earnings ratio stands at a hefty 32.5. Yet their argument is disingenuous, for that ratio of how many dollars investors spend for a dollar of annual profit is based on trailing 12-month earnings. No one of sound mind buys stocks based on past earnings.

What a jackass...

/rant off

Archived