IDS World Markets 30 May 2003

The travel agent swears this is a true story.........

A woman called to make reservations; "I want to go from Chicago to Hippopotamus, New York."

The agent was at a loss for words. Finally, the agent said, "Are you sure that?s the name of the town?"

"Yes, what flights do you have?" replied the customer.

After some searching, the agent came back with, "I?m sorry, ma?am, I?ve looked up every airport code in the country and can?t find a Hippopotamus anywhere."

The customer retorted, "Oh don?t be silly. Everyone knows where it is. Check your map!"

The agent scoured a map of the state of New York and finally offered, "You don?t mean Buffalo, New York, do you?"

"That?s it! I knew it was a large animal!"

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning, Stoolies!

I encourage everyone to read the last article on Japan's economic readings here:

Japan jobless rate near record high, jobs still destoryed there after 15 years of the bubble pop - Bloomberg

A crash in slow motion, truly is.

Over here to Europe. In absence of market-making news, all is set for a nice decline in the Old Continent. Yesterday's bearish tails are ugly by all means, moreover, DAX fails for the second time in a row to close above the neckline of the one-month head-and-shoulders (see attached image) after posting significant ID gains. German speculators don't like this and their herd-like behaviour is even more significant than their US counterparts. They think that if it won't go up, it'll go down and they do trade accordingly. We'll see, I expect a significant decline in Europe today.

Some comments on US trading. By looking at the volume, it's obvious that the hedge funds wanted this market to break out yesterday. Check the volume in semis. And it's worthwhile to note that they ran into a brick wall. Is it the top? I don't know. What I do know though, that at these heights, the Smart Money is having serious problems toying with the market and the Big Money. The latter is finally starting to move its lazy ass on the sell side. Caveat Emptor!

One last remark. Steve Ballmer, the CEO of MSFT is selling. This not very interesting in the first place. It is interesting because he's selling for the FIRST TIME since 1991(!!!). And the last time he sold, he sold the shares he picked up in 1989 in a nice dip. So, practically he's selling for the first time as an *insider*. The scapegoat is "financial diversification". To translate it to English: he's afraid that he'll make less money holding MSFT than doing anything else with that money (like buying 10-year bonds yielding 3.5% if he has a really long horizon).

What does he know the market doesn't?

post-3-1054275805_thumb.gif

Thanks for opening the forum alceringa....my morning went something like this...read late into night....woke up late...arrrrgh 30 mins until train leaves for tai chi class...market been open 45 mins.....rush to pc...whoo hoo one of my put parents off the cliff....need to close out...20 mins until train leaves....ring broker... he's away from desk !@#$ ...10 mins until train leaves...broker rings back...CLOSE OUT i yell down the phone...zippppp out the door..

Well it was a pretty bearish old market today, bit of a roller coaster going nowhere. Most the stocks on my screen looking weak. All Ords closed -3.8 (-0.1%) which is a bit of a surprise considering most of Asia up at this stage with exception of Hang Seng. All Ords good at front running world indices though so I would not be in the least surprised to see weakness in global markets tonight.

Fukui-san posted a link on M2M to an excellent report on global real estate, worth reading if you've got some time.

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?...tory_id=1794873

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to their excellent understanding of topography and of bison behavior, they killed bison by chasing them over a precipice and subsequently carving up the carcasses in the camp below.

Translation:

Thanks to their excellent understanding of technical analysis and the extraordinary popular delusions and madness of bullish behavior, the short sellers borrowed the watered stocks from those gripped with delusional hysteria, chased them over a precipice and subsequently carved up the carcasses of the bulls margin accounts in the depths below.

animbuf2.gif

Click Here

Moanin' from Amsterdam.

Another day of quiet before the storm which never seems to come.Not just rangebound but totally deceased.Watching grass grow ain't got nothing on this.Waiting for the announcement,"Tomorrow's market has been cancelled indefinitely,due to lack of interest".

Needless to say that the survey of house prices and the predicted drop of 30% in The Netherlands (and Ireland) has not gone unnoticed here.Local tv reporting on it today.This news combined with a gubmint proposal to prevent people "cashing out" on the house they sell by getting a 100% mortgage on their new house,has started putting the wind up people here.

(You have to understand the crazy system here:simply stated-100% of your mortgage interest payment is tax-deductible starting at your highest tax rate.And as the most mortgages in recent years have tended to be "investment mortgages" whereby you only pay interest and the capital is paid-off by investment,you quickly see the advantages for especially the high-earners but also the grave dangers awaitng many house buyers if house prices decrease-a true double whammy!

Loss on investment-already happened and will go further,loss on house price paid-deep doo-doo.)

Tinkering with mortgage tax deduction is political suicide.So, if it is to be done,it needs to be done by stealth.That something needs to be done is beyond question but,as usual,it should have been done in the late '90's when it would have prevented the lunatic price rises which took place.

Now it's going to cause real pain to a lot of people--not,however,to government ministers of which one of their ilk claimed today that they all needed a big pay rise as they'd been underpaid for years!! The peoples revolution is a comin' brothers!! Ha ,ha -NOT.

Archived