An Economic 'Menu Of Pain'

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not been this clueless since I can remember ( not that I will be right or wrong but I usually have a pretty strong opionion) leaning heavily towards the hyperinflation scenario but still have some nagging doubts?

That is exactly how I feel.

How much do they pay greeters at Chinamart anyway? :(

gf: why do you think the fed is so acared of stocks falling? Even after this rally the economy continues to detoriate. Why debase the currency soley to prop the stock market?

They have to be trying to debase the currency- it's their goal. Bernanke's printing press speech, quoted in the Sprott annual report, is clear. The man could not have been stupid enough to make the comments if he didn't want to trash the dollar.

I believe that the rally is political. They must be expecting a terrorist attack, or in forseeance of an election. Who the f*ck knows. But the fact remains, it's a bullshit rally, and this is going to end very badly. Very irresponsible, imho.

They have to be trying to debase the currency- it's their goal.  Bernanke's printing press speech, quoted in the Sprott annual report, is clear.  The man could not have been stupid enough to make the comments if he didn't want to trash the dollar.

I believe that the rally is political.  They must be expecting a terrorist attack, or in forseeance of an election.  Who the f*ck knows.  But the fact remains, it's a bullshit rally, and this is going to end very badly.  Very irresponsible, imho.

soup........the stockmarket IS the economy.....

g.f. you are right.....who knows.....it is a political rally......mastered by the control room......and since everyone is working with the same assumptions in their models......everybody is on the SAME SIDE of the equation.....

......remember 87.......first the usd went south,.....then bonds followed......and finally the stock market fell apart.....

......might well be that we have seen the highs in bonds last friday......time will tell......and the herd is approaching the cliff like lemmings.....patience is required......

GF: no doubt this will end in misery, but it is possible, given the debasement of the currency, to see higher stock prices driven by hyperinflation.

I agree with soup and most of what else is said today about trashing the value, and also the exchange rate, of the US$.

We have seen in other countries stock market rise - after a sharp fall in the local currency and interest rates peak. In the present case, foreign central banks - mainly Japan - are buying Treasuries and helping the US avoid the usual interest rate pains. This can't go on forever - due to the deflationary effect buying US$ has on other economies - ie Japan.

Perhaps when the dollar rises a little, we will also see bonds fall and stocks fall.

I'm still thinking this POS market will reach 980 area. I will start posting snippets from market commentators capitulating before 980.

From Steven Smith on RealMoney.com

"I'd go so far as to say we need a close above 967 (the old low from 9/11/01) to really put to rest that this is something more than a bear market rally. I think it is but time will tell"

Archived