IDS World Markets 30 April 2003

Asia-Pacific Markets are trading generally up near mid-day. Nick-me up just under 2%. The Hang Ten gapped up on the open, is now dropping like a rock. Yoo-hoo world markets

Uncle Buck- Looks like a set-up for the rare "Ski-Jump" Chart Formation. Hope the old guy doesn't hurt himself. :o

intraday.gif?s...w=15&a=2&v.gif

Spoo-Hoo's-

globex.png

Globex Flash Quotes Link

From Bloomberg

Asian Stocks Rise, Led by Canon, Samsung Electronics; South Korea Declines

Asian stocks rose, led by Canon Inc., Samsung Electronics Co. and other exporters, after a U.S. consumer confidence report raised optimism that demand will improve in their biggest overseas market.

Japanese March Industrial Production Unexpectedly Declines From February

Dollar Falls; Reports May Show Losses in Jobs, Declines in Manufacturing Bloomberg

AM Market Call By CNNMoney

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a brief selloff on open we spent most of the day marginally green but ... and this is the interesting bit... the index rolled over into close and finished just in the red. Stocks were mixed with the big4 banks in the red. As the banks are the market leaders I'm thinking that I see light at the end of the tunnel. Doing lots of paper trading as I'm testing new trading system so I offloaded 6 paper calls today, 5 for a good proft, 1 breakeven. That leaves me in 4 calls and 22 puts. The puts have been accumulated over the past couple of weeks with none of them in the money AS YET but lets see what happens from here..

Golds didn't do that well considering the $US getting a hard time:

LHG -1.5%

NCM +.0.2%

NEM -0.9%

Jo-burg miners opened in the Red again. Now down about 1%.

Euro markets giving an upside-down finger.

From the World of Health and Medicine.......

The Good.........

Sars boosts thermometer demand

A small electronics company in Northern Italy has been flooded with orders from China for its patented thermometer, which can diagnose fever from a distance.

Tecnimed's body temperature thermometer, Thermofocus, is being used in Asia for screening people possibly infected with SARS.

Thermofocus measures a person's temperature from a distance of a few centimetres using infrared rays and is the brainchild of a 48-year-old Italian electrical engineer called Francesco Bellifemine. Story from the BBC

The Bad...........

Tainted pills scandal explodes

Retailers began pulling thousands of bottles of pills and tablets from shelves yesterday as the Pan Pharmaceuticals recall spread to household brands made under contract by the now-disgraced manufacturer.

Voluntary recalls implemented by Mayne Consumer, Australian Pharmaceutical Industries and Vita Life Sciences followed criticism of the handling of the crisis by the medicines watchdog.

Mayne Consumer said the removal of a third, or more than 400, of its products affecting its Cenovis, Nature's Own, Bio-Organics, Golden Glow and Natural Nutrition brands would cost it $20 million in lost sales.

Australian Pharmaceutical Industries recalled 40 of its 500 products under the Soul Pattinson, Chemworld and Pharmacist Advice brands. Vita Life Sciences said up to half of its products came from Pan and may need to be recalled.Story

The Ugly...........

Beijing issues new Sars warning

Beijing's acting mayor says hospitals are unable to cope with the high numbers of patients suffering from Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (Sars).

Wang Qishan said there were not enough beds in designated units to take every patient.

But he did not say what was happening to victims of the disease who could not be treated in hospital.Story

Good morning and Good Stool to all!

Great technical discussion on cycles for the mathematically minded going on over on Talking Stool. (Anals subscribers only)

And here's what's in the current issue of your Anals:

Push Comes To Shove 4/29/03

How much more of this do we have to take? If you believe cycle and sentiment indicators, not much more. Markets always top out when all but the last diehard lunatics (ahem) agree that it's going higher. We are at that point. It's so bad I can't even turn on the TV anymore because I'm afraid I might accidentally hear someone talking about the damn stock market. If this isn't a bubble atmosphere, what is.

Doc reviews the data, and chronicles the short, intermediate, and long term market cycles, with hot pictures of naked stock charts, the Long Bong Hit, Uncle Buck and the Golden Stool. Drop by your stock proctologist's office, and get the inside picture, all in the Anals tonight.

Stoolies, log one in. If you're not a stoolie already, become one Now! And don't forget to join Doc during the market day in Stooltrading as he plots the market's twists and turns for you, in advance yet!

Join me today in Stooltrading and check out Stooltrading Chat. You need to register on the Stooltrading board to use tha chat. You now have permanent links to both in the left column menu.

Many tanks!

Doc

Archived