The Inevitable Dead Cat Bounce Is Here 5/13/22

The 24 hour ES S&P 500 fugutures are maintaining the dead cat bounce that began late yesterday. The hourly chart shows that the short covering has carried the price to downtrend resistance at 3975 as of 7:15 AM in New York. The 2-3 day cycle projection points to a high of 4030, suggesting a breakout from the immediate downtrend but not the bigger multiday trend. The last high, set way back yesterday was 4055, and the one before that, set Wednesday was 4069. 

So the bulls have their work cut out before they can claim success in putting in a significant low. 

Meanwhile, if the bears can hold either here, or 3992, or 4000, 4010 or 4027, that would be really sick. Grab some popcorn and sit back for the late Friday show. 

I don't pretend to know how this will go. Those are the key levels. Rules number Two and One continue to apply. The trend is your friend, and Don't fight the Fed. Big Tops Lead to Big, Bad Bear Markets

tvc_82588b90cc97d0d31dc235f467dc951d.png

Meanwhile, the prices of other currencies in US doodahs, particularly the geuro, the doodah's primary competitor, are plunging. The geuro seems destined to break this major, major sport level around 103 and set its sights on parity with the doodah. In fact, if this pattern breaks, the conventional measured move objective would be $0.81.

But currency markets have limits. Currency prices, like stock prices, are determined in the long run by what the central banks decide. It's a matter of who's printing more or less, relative to the other. The Fed stopped printing, and the ECB is still printing. As long as that continues, the geuro will continue to trend toward a lower price in doodahs, and versa vice. The price of doodahs will rise even faster against the geuro next month when the Fed starts withdrawing doodahs from the banking system.

This directly affects the European currency because 8 of the Fed's Primary Dealers are European banks. That includes a couple of Brit banks with heavy presence on the incontinent. Catch a Falling Knife

tvc_6a771c3fb27b04d5c5f63884666c90a0.png

In the Cryptonite space, Buttcoin leads the way with a holding action around the 30,000 sport line. All signs point to an eventual breakdown, with the next target around 21,000 in the course of moving toward the ultimate price objective of a negative number. 

Here's the weekly chart. 

tvc_f3565f632e43bd16ad626fe87922fa44.png

Meanwhile, over in the bond market, Treasuries have had a helluva rally in the past week, sending the 10 year yield plunging to 2.816. But that paused yesterday. If the buying subsides here, the yield should percolate back to 3.20, and then points north. Way, way north. On the other hand, if the selling panic in other assets resumes, expect money to roll into Treasuries. Then if they break that 2.816, I'd look for 2.60-2.65. It would be dramatic, but would not reverse the trend.  April Tax Collections Still Running Red Hot Mean That Fed Must Get Tighter

tvc_527149e3e5e3d98154009ea544b69332.png

Stay tuned for all the exciting action.

If you're serious about the underlying forces of supply and demand that drive the markets, join me

If you are a new visitor to the Stool, please register and join in! To post your observations and charts, and snide, but good-natured, comments, click here to register. Be sure to respond to the confirmation email which is sent instantly. If not in your inbox, check your spam filter. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DrStool said:

Bob, what's with the time change? Is that a mistake? Tom told me 3 PM MT. 

This  is correct.  Should be at 5  pm East coast , 3 pm MT. T Reaching out to Tom, He may have got his time regions confused. adjusted 2 hours the  wrong way. Will clarify.  Wanted to have this after the market close.  

Just now, potatohead said:

This  is correct.  Should be at 5  pm East coast , 3 pm MT. T Reaching out to Tom, He may have got his time regions confused. adjusted 2 hours the  wrong way. Will clarify.  Wanted to have this after the market close.  

Tom is making the change.  I will be tagging  a lot of people to tune in. I am very grateful for your time.

1 minute ago, potatohead said:

Tom is making the change.  I will be tagging  a lot of people to tune in. I am very grateful for your time.

Gratitude unnecessary!  It is I who am gratitittudinous. 😁 

The idea that the market is celebrating the re-appointment of Jerome Powell is sickening, disgusting, and disheartening.

The man is a financial war criminal, who presided over, supported, enabled, and promoted the greatest moral hazard bubble in history. It encouraged financial chicanenery, discouraged real investment in productive capacity and labor, and punished hard work, honest thrift, and risk aversion. What he did, following on Bernanke's founding of this policy is pure evil.

We've only begun to pay the price with massive inflation of housing costs and consumption goods, and the incipient collapse in financial asset prices as the Fed is forced to withdraw its support by high, and understated consumer inflation.  

Archived