No Joy in Bearville 2/24/22

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biden's press conference:

The United States is not going to participate in the fighting in Ukraine, but expresses support for the country
🔴 NATO will strengthen the eastern flank - Estonia, Romania, Poland and Lithuania
🔴 US imposes blocking sanctions against VTB and four other largest Russian banks
🔴 Russia will not be disconnected from SWIFT
🔴 The US will limit transactions in dollars and euros, pounds and yen for Russian business
🔴 Restrictions will be introduced on the export of high-tech products
🔴 Sanctions will affect the space industry
🔴 Biden does not intend to talk with Putin
🔴 If Russia attacks any NATO country, going beyond Ukraine, the US will be ready to enter the hostilities
🔴 Putin's goal is to restore the Soviet Union

The only surprise was that India is not behind NATO.

2022 will be the final year of democracy in the US. The Rs will take control of the House of Representatives and will appoint the next President. 

We are moving toward civil war and dissolution of the US. The US Military will fracture. There will be mass protests, and mass violence. Many people will be killed. 

In the end, Putin and Xi may well rule the world. Those of us who have spoken out against Trump and Putin will be targeted. 

And so, we enter a new Dark Age.  

27 minutes ago, DrStool said:

Ben Bernanke did this. The Fed did this. The ECB and the BoJ did this. 

Congress, who controls, the public purse did this.

And it was Reagan who insisted that tax cuts would generate incremental tax revenue, because of what Laffer scribbled on a napkin. (I actually own a napkin on which Laffer scribbled his curves: a gift from a documentary maker I know.)

Thereafter, fiscal prudence was on the run.

Monetary authority was placed in the position of having to manage increasingly excessive fiscal profligacy. I’m not defending their management. Only observing that if DC hadn’t been wildly irresponsible, we’d be in a different parallel universe where names like Bernanke/Paulson/Powell/Yellen and above all, Greenspan, would be as unfamiliar as the Secretaries of Interior. 

Always happy to be told I’m full of crap. 

6 minutes ago, Jimi said:

Congress, who controls, the public purse did this.

And it was Reagan who insisted that tax cuts would generate incremental tax revenue, because of what Laffer scribbled on a napkin. (I actually own a napkin on which Laffer scribbled his curves: a gift from a documentary maker I know.)

Thereafter, fiscal prudence was on the run.

Monetary authority was placed in the position of having to manage increasingly excessive fiscal profligacy. I’m not defending their management. Only observing that if DC hadn’t been wildly irresponsible, we’d be in a different parallel universe where names like Bernanke/Paulson/Powell/Yellen and above all, Greenspan, would be as unfamiliar as the Secretaries of Interior. 

Always happy to be told I’m full of crap. 

It's true. 

Federal tax revenues have been exploding higher. Spending has risen faster. They feed each other, but the gap must be filled by massive amounts of financing, which only the Fed has the power to absorb. Without QE, the market can't absorb all the Treasuries at a stable price. Bond prices can only trend in one direction under these conditions. 

And stocks the same, these vicious bear market rallies notwithstanding. 

From Nice, France, I bid you 

Bonne nuit et bonne chance. 

Archived