This Says It All

Good morning, everyone! :)

I just couldn't resist the temptation to open this thread at precisely this moment in (ET) time.

And if I am still the IDS Steward exactly one year and one month and one day and one hour and one minute from now, guess what's goin' to happen then . . . :grin:

My friend Rick recently emailed me the following story. It's something that I had seen once before a number of years ago (but had subsequently lost track of), so it's possible that at least some of you have also seen it before. And it's a little on the long side, even for the first opening commentary for the week (and in this case for the month also).

And with that being said I cannot think of any better way to start off both the new week and the new month. Because this is what it's all about.

A STORY OF GIVING

One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school. His name was Kyle. It looked like he was carrying all of his books. I thought to myself, "Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd."

I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.

As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him. They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt. His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him. He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes.

My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him and as he crawled around looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye. As I handed him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are jerks. They really should get lives." He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!" There was a big smile on his face. It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.

I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived. As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before. He said he had gone to private school before now.

I would have never hung out with a private school kid before. We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his books. He turned out to be a pretty cool kid. I asked him if he wanted to play a little football with my friends. He said yes. We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him.

Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again. I stopped him and said, "Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!" He just laughed and handed me half the books.

Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends. When we were seniors, we began to think about college. Kyle decided on Georgetown, and I was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a problem. He was going to be a doctor, and I was going for business on a football scholarship.

Kyle was valedictorian of our class. I teased him all the time about being a nerd. He had to prepare a speech for graduation.

I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak. Graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school. He filled out and actually looked good in glasses. He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him. Boy, sometimes I was jealous.

Today was one of those days. I could see that he was nervous about his speech. So, I smacked him on the back and said, "Hey, big guy, you'll be great!" He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled. "Thanks," he said.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began. "Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years. Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends. I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I am going to tell you a story."

I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the story of the first day we met. He had planned to kill himself over the weekend. He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home. He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile.

"Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable."

I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment. I saw his Mom and Dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile. Not until that moment did I realize its depth.

Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life. For better or for worse.

God puts us all in each other's lives to impact one another in some way. Look for God in others.

That Beatles' song was right on. We really do get by with the help of our friends.

Thank you, Rick! :)

And yesterday marked the one year anniversary of, would you believe, three of our members!

an2.gifHappy Anniversary, chiefywiefy.

an2.gifHappy Anniversary, Direwolf.

an2.gifHappy Anniversary, MrHanky.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning ladies and germs, buoys and gulls. I come before you today as Commander in Chief of the Army of the Stool.

I do not want to be too melodramatic, but we must sound the Stool alarm across the land, and the oceans, and the sky. As I go through updating the Stoolwethers charts for this morning's posting I see that the enemy has advanced under the cover of night and is assaulting our , what do they call them things, escarpments? Had I conducted this reconnaisance before writing your Weak End Anals, I would have ordered all stoolies to general quarters, helmets on and shorts off ready for the momentous battle ahead.

At this hour of trial, let us be strong. Our mettle will be tested, but the Army of the Stool shall not melt from the challenge we face.

Men and women of Stool, it is time to man your battle toilets!

The Stoolwethers will be posted in about 15 minutes and Suctors in about 45 minutes.

To seek freedom is the only driving force I know.

Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there.

Freedom to dissolve; to lift off;

to be like the flame of a candle,

which, in spite of being up against the light of a billion stars, remains intact,

because it never pretended to be more than what it is: a mere candle."

~ don Juan

Good Morning Stoolies.......Hope you all had a great weekend...well...gotta all love this......dippies giving us chances time and time again....even an overnight opportunity OVER 850 SP00 to sell.......they never learn do they......patterns repeat time and time again....bear frustration grows.....and then.......all I can saw another great overnight shorting opportunity.......BEAR corrective pattern coming to an end.....5 waves C of a flat or whatever,,,,,,,,the nasty stuff still has to happen.....of course wise to have your position stops like I do....still a long way away but as I said before an ewave reason can always be found why market went against the way it should....after the fact......so to conclude it looks all down from here with of course the usual provisos.......!!

Striker, when a chart exists on a publicly available site, simply link to it instead of attaching it to your message. Also, do not forget to specify the source - after all, we should give proper credit to the author of the chart. As for resizing - you can't do it with IMG tags, but you can do it with HTML:

nasdaily022803.GIF

source

Regards,

Vesselin

Capital One president quits after SEC notice

NEW YORK, March 3 (Reuters) - Capital One Financial Corp. said on Monday its president and chief financial officer, David Willey, resigned after receiving notice that regulators may charge him with insider trading.

http://biz.yahoo.com/t/c/cof.html

2002-05-09 WILLEY, JOY S.

25,784 Planned Sale

(Estimated proceeds of $1,560,447)

2002-05-09 WILLEY, DAVID M. Executive Vice President

60,219 Option Exercise at $12.52 - $38.344 per share.

2002-05-09 WILLEY, DAVID M. Executive Vice President

87,684 Option Exercise at $33.77 - $37.083 per share.

(Cost of about $3,106,000)

2002-05-09 WILLEY, DAVID M. Chief Fincl Officer

*8,144 Disposition (Non Open Market) at $61.25 per share.

(Value of $498,820)

2002-05-09 WILLEY, DAVID M. Chief Fincl Officer

50,875 Disposition (Non Open Market) at $61.25 per share.

(Value of $3,116,093)

2002-05-09 -

2002-05-13 WILLEY, DAVID M. Chief Fincl Officer

*52,075 Sale at $62 - $62.224 per share.

(Proceeds of about $3,234,000)

* Indicates that some (or all) shares are held indirectly (e.g. in a trust, by a spouse, etc.)

This guy's title changed from EVP to CFO on the same day he shuffled about $5M worth of stock?

Good timing on those sales, too!

Archived