One Last Look 5/19/20

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sandy beach said:

Nature now has a formal paper (link to PDF) regarding the use of monoclonal antibodies for SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19. This is hopeful:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2349-y

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2349-y_reference.pdf

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/19/vaccine-experts-say-moderna-didnt-produce-data-critical-to-assessing-covid-19-vaccine/

Market comes roaring back because the rally had absolutely nothing to do with the vaccine in the first place. Finmedia just makes shit up because they need cover stories. 

1 minute ago, Jorma said:

There is hope in RNA vaccine but the Moderna story stinks so bad it's beyond belief. As I understand it they went public and sold 8 stinking percent of the float.  I mean damn. 

The insider dealing and revolving doors is so conflicted in this industry it is beyond belief. However, it pales in comparison to the secret committees at the National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurty (NSABB) that vote on Enhanced Potential Pandemic Pathogen (PPP) and Gain-of-Function (GOF) research and fund labs like the Wuhan lab from smoke field back rooms knowing full well the public if they new about this research would never allow it. Many of these projects in in breach of HHS P3HO policy. And if you even mention what I just said you will get banned from major journals like Nature because they are all in on this - huge amounts of money in it. 

1 minute ago, DrStool said:

Market comes roaring back because the rally had absolutely nothing to do with the vaccine in the first place. Finmedia just makes shit up because they need cover stories. 

Sure, mostly, but "nothing"?  I think something.  Stories are important in  that they lure the punters and traders into the market on a given day. All price movement in an auction market happens at the margin. To some degree each day is discreet. 

Sen. Sherrod Brown inquires of Treasury’s Steven Mnuchin: ‘How many workers should give their lives to increase the GDP or the Dow Jones by a thousand points?’

https://www.marketwatch.com/discover?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.marketwatch.com%2Famp%2Fstory%2Fguid%2F27c91ed0-99ef-11ea-96ab-1af50516e038&link=sfmw_tw#https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/27c91ed0-99ef-11ea-96ab-1af50516e038?mod=dist_amp_social

3 minutes ago, Jorma said:

Sure, mostly, but "nothing"?  I think something.  Stories are important in  that they lure the punters and traders into the market on a given day. All price movement in an auction market happens at the margin. To some degree each day is discreet. 

The market went up because dealers had cash and were marking up stocks. They may have planted the story for marketing and distribution. Or they may have just found a convenient excuse. But yes, PR is a contributory factor in a compex marketing and distribution business. Had it not been this story, they would have found a different one. It usually begins with the words "Hopes that..." or "Relief that..." yadda yadda wing wang.   

As I said all that vaccine talk is just BS. It plays no role if we get a vac in 2021 or not. We would need it NOW to avoid major harm on the economy. People will keep distancing, they sill not trust each other, no hugs, no kisses, no business. Even if we get a vac next year it will probably such a ine we have for the regular influenza with its 60% track record. That will not restore trust either.

We should hope that Corona isn‘t as bad as thought. That hope is more realistic than getting a solid vac anytime soon.

The economy is definitely effed. Stocks? We will see.

21 minutes ago, fxfox said:

As I said all that vaccine talk is just BS. It plays no role if we get a vac in 2021 or not. We would need it NOW to avoid major harm on the economy. People will keep distancing, they sill not trust each other, no hugs, no kisses, no business. Even if we get a vac next year it will probably such a ine we have for the regular influenza with its 60% track record. That will not restore trust either.

We should hope that Corona isn‘t as bad as thought. That hope is more realistic than getting a solid vac anytime soon.

The economy is definitely effed. Stocks? We will see.

The stock market has nothing to do with the economy, except to the extent that the economy determines whether and how much central banks print. But I keep wondering if there might not even be a limit to that. I think there is, but not sure what it is. 

44 minutes ago, sandy beach said:

The insider dealing and revolving doors is so conflicted in this industry it is beyond belief. However, it pales in comparison to the secret committees at the National Science Advisory Board for Biosecurty (NSABB) that vote on Enhanced Potential Pandemic Pathogen (PPP) and Gain-of-Function (GOF) research and fund labs like the Wuhan lab from smoke field back rooms knowing full well the public if they new about this research would never allow it. Many of these projects in in breach of HHS P3HO policy. And if you even mention what I just said you will get banned from major journals like Nature because they are all in on this - huge amounts of money in it. 

Have I ranted here about federal biodefense spend since 9/11?

When everything started coming unglued, and Kushner talked about "our stockpiles, not the states' stockpiles," it made me rather cross.

When I rant about California going its own course, it's because of the vast value earned here & then sent to DC for decades that was then apparently subsequently pissed away.  Pandemic response benefits from the highest available level of organized response. I simply would never have expected that soon after the West Coast closed that the Federal government would not organize a country-wide lockdown with the goal of curtailing spread.

Instead, states were left to make their own decisions and a patchwork of varying responses assured that the response of "the nation" (whatever the eff that is at this juncture, given the failure) would assure further spread and further death and inevitably greater economic calamity than if there'd been a coordinated and coherent response.  All the while the president dressed down governors for not having sufficient resources, and not having stockpiled for the eventuality.

When federal authorities thereby #fail when that authority is available to confer its greatest benefit, why the ever-loving crap should it be unconditionally and perpetually afforded?

Because of a flag and an anthem and a federal reserve note? We have a flag with a bear on it, and we can write songs here, and we can bitcoin our economy.

Ignore whether or not COVID-19 is the result of a bioweapons program run amok or afoul in Wuhan.

I'd always been under the quaint illusion that after 9/11, we'd taken steps to prepare AS A NATION against intentional release of a biological agent.

If we had, where was the coordinated federal response?

If we hadn't, where'd the effing biodefense spending go?

Archived