Miner Major Breakout Gets Gold Metal 5/18/20

That part of Poland was in the south. My grandparents were in shtetls to the north and west of Warsaw, ruled by the Russians, but no doubt the pogroms where also happening in those places.  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DrStool said:

Did you go to VIllefranche, Eze, and Monaco? That €1.50 bus ride is spectacular.  I plan to make Nice my home. 

Funny. In 1979, my dad was on a Fullbright in Austria - they rented a home and we spent Christmas in Eze sur Mer. I have a photo of me in Eze Village in front of the church from that year. Years later, I made the hike between the two on Chemin de Nietzsche or whatever it's called - I've done it probably 5 times in the past 20 years, and did it with my wife & boys (downhill to spare them, given the epic heat wave last summer).

A colleague of my dad's had a condo in Villefranche, so they spent many winters renting that place there. I visited a few times: love the port in that town. I've had dozens of espressos for breakfast down there near the ramparts.

In the old town, right off the town hall square, there's a tourist dive called "Chez Wayne's": first year they opened (ca. 1991), two friends & I played music on their stage. We spent our summer in Nice paying bills by playing music in bars & restaurants.

Good times....

1 minute ago, Jimi said:

Funny. In 1979, my dad was on a Fullbright in Austria - they rented a home and we spent Christmas in Eze sur Mer. I have a photo of me in Eze Village in front of the church from that year. Years later, I made the hike between the two on Chemin de Nietzsche or whatever it's called - I've done it probably 5 times in the past 20 years, and did it with my wife & boys (downhill to spare them, given the epic heat wave last summer).

A colleague of my dad's had a condo in Villefranche, so they spent many winters renting that place there. I visited a few times: love the port in that town. I've had dozens of espressos for breakfast down there near the ramparts.

In the old town, right off the town hall square, there's a tourist dive called "Chez Wayne's": first year they opened (ca. 1991), two friends & I played music on their stage. We spent our summer in Nice paying bills by playing music in bars & restaurants.

Good times....

I've been to Wayne's. A little too loud and young for my taste. I was partial to Bar Stepko. But a sweaty firetrap it is.  

There's something about Nice that makes you forget how terrible things are everywhere else.  First, it's beautiful, and second, people are focused on enjoying life. Of course, the French always complain about it, but they don't know how good they have it. 

And there's just so much to do there. Just wandering around doing nothing is an adventure. I enjoyed the hike up La Colline du Chateau, and the trek up Mont Alban. What views.  

Just now, DrStool said:

I've been to Wayne's. A little too loud and young for my taste. I was partial to Bar Stepko. But a sweaty firetrap it is.  

We only played at Wayne's once or twice. The place we made our bread & butter as musicians was called "Hole in the Wall," run by a Brit named John and his wife, Jeanette.  Place was on Rue de l'Abbeye... which always amused me to be "Abbey Road."

John & I would play a game of chess between dinner & us taking the stage. We were well matched, but he'd get the better of me most nights... he was the best player of bishops I've ever encountered.

I was supposed to be in Nice right now. Had an apartment rented just off Albert 1 and the Promenade, near Rue de France. Awesome spot. 

I couldn't go because of the fucking pandemic.  

4 minutes ago, DrStool said:

There's something about Nice that makes you forget how terrible things are everywhere else.  First, it's beautiful, and second, people are focused on enjoying life. Of course, the French always complain about it, but they don't know how good they have it. 

Totally.

4 minutes ago, Jimi said:

We only played at Wayne's once or twice. The place we made our bread & butter as musicians was called "Hole in the Wall," run by a Brit named John and his wife, Jeanette.  Place was on Rue de l'Abbeye... which always amused me to be "Abbey Road."

John & I would play a game of chess between dinner & us taking the stage. We were well matched, but he'd get the better of me most nights... he was the best player of bishops I've ever encountered.

I have had a drink or two in that alley.  Pan around. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6968618,7.2750311,3a,75y,118.62h,84.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-GmggBClwZDLLevs_FiH5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Archived