Dip Buyers Love Support Levels 5/14/20

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, fxfox said:

Doc,

since you are a Philly guy, do you remember this?

This is not something one forgets. It was a catastrophe.  Living in Center City, we would see the MOVE people on the streets. They were very aggressive, very unpleasant. But what Wilson Goode did was unforgiveable.  He destroyed that neighborhood of West Philly.  Philadelphians will never forget this incomprehensible, stupid, needless tragedy.  It hurts my heart to be reminded of it. 

First of all, it was MOVE, not Move. 

Secondly, they weren't good guys. They were very aggressive and hostile. Their purpose when they were out on the street was to intimidate and frighten. And they were successful at that. They were around Center City a lot. I would avoid them when I saw them coming. 

They were not some kind of revolutionary heroes. It was a cult. They violated building codes. They terrorized their neighbors. They were issued repeated citations. They were definitely instigators. But they never physically harmed anyone. 

The seige lasted a long time as I recall. The City lost its patience and committed an atrocity in an overreaction. 

LIQUIDITY TRADER - US GOVERNMENT REVENUES

You Have No Idea How Bad This Really Is

by Lee Adler •  • 0 Comments

Federal Withholding Tax Collections Chart

In normal times, the Federal Government has a revenue windfall in April, and runs a large surplus for the month. Revenues are typically at least 140% of outlays. Even more in good years.

Revenues covered just 24% of outlays in April. We borrowed 76 cents of every dollar the Federal Government spent last month.

We knew this was coming. The questions now are how long it can last, when it will start to recover, and whether it might get worse.

1 hour ago, DrStool said:

First of all, it was MOVE, not Move. 

Secondly, they weren't good guys. They were very aggressive and hostile. Their purpose when they were out on the street was to intimidate and frighten. And they were successful at that. They were around Center City a lot. I would avoid them when I saw them coming. 

They were not some kind of revolutionary heroes. It was a cult. They violated building codes. They terrorized their neighbors. They were issued repeated citations. They were definitely instigators. But they never physically harmed anyone. 

The seige lasted a long time as I recall. The City lost its patience and committed an atrocity in an overreaction. 

Apparently a kinder, gentler MOVE is still around. http://onamove.com/about/ 

My recollection is that they did not believe in bathing or garbage collection.  

My memories were accurate. I had forgotten most of this. But I remember being on the streets of Center City when a lot of this went down in the 70s.  

What I had forgotten was just how violent they were. In a very real way, they were at war with the City of Philadelphia, and vice versa.  

Early 1970s — Donald Glassey, a college teacher with a master's degree in social work, helps Leaphart, who has changed his name to John Africa, to define MOVE's credo — which includes picketing against the caging of animals at the Philadelphia Zoo and refusing to bathe.
 May 1973 — Glassey buys Victorian-style house at 33rd and Pearl streets in Powelton Village, and Leaphart and other MOVE members move in.
1975 — Neighbors complain to authorities of garbage, fecal odor, rat infestation and building-code violations.
Mid-September 1976 — City legal efforts to get into the MOVE house are rebuffed, and the group begins stockpiling weapons, bombs and bomb-making manuals. Barricade is built.
May 20, 1977 — MOVE members, some in khaki uniforms, appear at MOVE house barricade displaying shotguns, rifles and pistols after a court OKs city inspection of the property.
Aug. 8, 1978 — After negotiations and a police blockade fail, 300 cops and firefighters surround the MOVE house and try to enter. MOVE members place bullhorns to the mouths of their crying babies. Gunfire erupts. Officer James Ramp, 52, is fatally shot; three other officers and four firefighters are wounded. Police kick and beat MOVE member Delbert Orr Africa as they drag him from house. John Africa is not present for the confrontation.
Dec. 10, 1978 — An obscenity-laced, 19-week trial begins for nine MOVE members. They are convicted of third-degree murder in Ramp's death and of attempted murder of other officers and firefighters, and sentenced to 30 to 100 years in prison. All remain jailed, except one who has died.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/special_packages/dailynews/MOVE_through_the_years.html

Archived