Sudden Recoil

I think Ill expand on my AOL example since theres too many scared bears backing away. AOL has always been the biggest internet POS of all. Steve Case quit and ol Ted Turner cant sell his shares fast enough. With 100 billion of write offs so far you can be pretty sure there will be more. They are losing customers and have a debt bomb. I find that the high flyers usually bounce around a bit after they lose 90% which is what AOL has done. This stock is almost certain to be cut in half once again. I believe its around 11 something now and may rise a little more due to its cycle. It can be ridden short to 5 or 6 for 100% profit. If you recommit earned margin halfway there youll make over 100% on the short side in less than a year.

Lets look at QCOM another POS. It almost doubled from its low to 40 and rolled over. You can ride this one back to 20 for another 100% on the short side and more if you use your earned margin. The insiders cant sell their stock fast enough. Now, when the bottom comes QCOM and YHOO have shown without a doubt that they will rise from the dead and double again. Then they will roll over once more because you cant polish a turd. Now is the time for bears to be licking their chops, not running away because they 'missed the top'. Capitalize on 'investor' ignorance.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SOURCE: Yahoo Business

Reuters

Fed will respond to market upsets as needed-Poole

Friday February 28, 2:54 pm ET

ST. LOUIS, Feb 28 (Reuters) - St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank President William Poole said on Friday the U.S. central bank stands ready to respond "really vigorously" to market disruptions when it makes sense to do so.

"The Fed stands ready to respond really vigorously and dramatically to upsets in the markets, whatever they might be, where a monetary response makes sense," Poole told the Missouri Valley Economics Association when asked what the Fed could do in a world of global uncertainties, adding that it has shown a willingness "to act on a massive scale" in the past.

He also said that with inflation low and expected to stay low, price pressures were unlikely to complicate the monetary-policy picture if the Fed had to respond to a shock.

He also said the U.S. dollar's role in the global economy seemed secure since U.S. capital markets were so efficient and the economy, notwithstanding its current slow pace, vibrant.

"I don't see any prospect in the near-term for the dollar to lose its role," he said.

Furthermore, it was an expression of frustration, not based on the opinions expressed by the posters, but because it pains me to see the work of other market letters promoted here in my own home, when so many people, and we are talking thousands and thousands of people, are free riding on this board.

Doc, you analyze the markets? Bonus! I joined because of all the hot babes that post here. :D Bull markets are about running with the herd. Bear markets are about lone wolves culling that herd. If you are financially literate and disciplined, you will win. If you are lazy, stupid, greedy, or undisciplined, you will lose. It's that simple. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank those people, (hopefully no stoolies) who continue to contribute to my wealth and happiness. I guess some people just have to learn the hard way! :P

Well Fed man Poole is firmly standing his ground. Will the ground move?

I guess we're back to the question of the persistance of the credit bubble. Feb. used to be my line in the sand. Now washed away. That's the thing about lines in the sand. Like gold over $325. The dollar under 100. Deficits as far as the eye can see. $2.00 gasoline.

We continue to muddle through, like this guy Mauldin harps on. I get emails of his comments. Signed up long ago, somehow,but don't even visit his site. I don't know a thing about him actually. I like to contemplate his muddle through scenario as an antidote to armageddon. I'm an agnostic on his story. Still, it's holding water so far.

http://www.frontlinethoughts.com/printarti...sp?id=mwo022803

My comments on the easiest money at the top pertain to indexes and a dartboard approach. Doc was active on some other forum at the time I think. Some here were active in the market too I suppose. Do we have any tales from bears in 99, and the last final dash to the top in winter 2000? It must have taken nerves of steel to get in front of that train. These little jams now are a joke in comparison.

Bare, I didn't mean to disparage 'socially responsible' investing. I just meant to disparage all investing. A bit broad brushed I guess. Actually that isn't right. I meant to seperate all investing from morality. Far be it from me to claim moral superiority. I leave that to the politicians and preachers. Who come to think of it always end up with the likes of Marijuana girl. Go figure.

Reuters

ST. LOUIS, Feb 28 (Reuters) - St. Louis Federal Reserve Bank President William Poole said ...He also said the U.S. dollar's role in the global economy seemed secure since U.S. capital markets were so efficient and the economy, notwithstanding its current slow pace, vibrant.

"I don't see any prospect in the near-term for the dollar to lose its role," he said.

This is different than the usual "strong dollar" statement.

Why would he think that there's a NEED to reassert that the US dollar is the world reserve currency.

Endgame 2/28/03

Between February 24, and March 3, ?the US Treasury will have issued $131 Billion of Notes and Bills, of which $27 Billion will be new money. We know where a lot of it will come from. Uncle Al and friends told us. They will do whatever is necessary to support the markets. We, in turn will need to keep an eye on the Feed Index. It is approaching a breakout at the same time as the bond market is going back into melt-up mode. One does not have to be a genius to add it up. In Al's Bubble World 2 + 2 = 5. ?We stand in awe as both commodities and bond prices melt-up at the same time. Bubble World ?even beats Ripley's.

Doc describes the dangers of the moment, examines the Feed and monetary data, chronicles the market cycles, and tells us where this shipwreck is heading, with hot pictures of naked stock charts, the Long Bong Hit, Uncle Buck and the Golden Stool. Will Uncle Buck ever get out of his sick bed? Will the Golden Stool ever recover, or is the move over now that Cramer is on board? Drop by your stock proctologist's office, and get the inside picture, all in the Anals tonight.

Stoolies, log one in. ?If you're not a stoolie already, become one Now! And don't forget to join Doc during the market day in Stooltrading Beta as he plots the market's twists and turns for you, in advance yet!

Stagflation.

And I have no nostalgia for the '70s. :ph34r:

When will investors tire of earning ~3.5% on bonds as the CPI blasts off past 3.5%? Don't know exactly when, but it would not be good to be in the bond or US$ market when the they wake up.

As consumer spending power is burned up by higher energy prices, the FEED will be under even more pressure to keep the economy on an even keel and the debt bubble from collapsing.

It won't be long (one or two months) before something has to give way - that is the FEED will have to push even harder or let the US$ drop.

I agree.

Once the inflation part of stagflation really gets going, then there's only one thing that the Fed can do to control it. Crank up the cost of money - the interest rate.

But this would wack all the extremely indebted consumers and companies that are surviving due to the ultra-low interest rate enviroment.

Bizzaro...

FURstly, thanx FUR the compliments.

HRFF is getting senile. He's misspelling words he never used to and doing things like spelling "too" for "to" in this sentence when he never used to.

Now, if you don't mind, HRFF will have a little fun at YOUR expense:

I believe the correct spelling of the word "born",in this case,

is,in fact,BORNE,as in past tense of BEAR( but,certainly not

BARE,for he will probably outlive all of us due to his inate

survival skills,honed in the bountiful Pacific Northwest).

Thanks fer the copious yucks.

itz "innate" and itz "yuks", ain't it?

YUCK!!!! means something else entirely duzitSNOT? LOLOL

No matter what the FED does or doesn't do, IT"S sooo OVER. Stop the insanity already. They want a grinding decline and they have been able to get it give a few waterfalls. The grind and the once in a while waterfalls will continue. So will the jams.

Same old song and dance, My friends. B)

RED ALERT

Quick, turn on Public Television and see Nightly Business Report.

Their "Guest Market Monitor" is going to explain why the market is in for a big selloff.

If you miss it, they always post the entire transcript and a streaming video of the monitor interview on their web site the following day.

if you have a link or a website for that i'd be interested to check it out.

Reuters

CROWD CONTROL!!! Gee, something must have those jokers "really" worried!

HA!

Read between the lines on that one, they just tipped their hand! They know what's coming :lol:

Per DF's and B4's observation last two weeks corrective consolidation wave was a distribution one. Heavy pump-and-dumping going on by those who know what's "going down". It's a continuation pattern, not reversal, meaning...

WE BE GOING DOWN

Main St marks prices down to attract buyers, Wall St marks them up.

Mark.............

Please keep writing.............Your input is far from boring, nor repetitive..............I find it both entertaining and informative........

As for going long.............Who cares?..............As long as cash reaches your hand..........the ends justify the means.........

Bull or Bear isn't what matters..................only results................

I'm personally a bear, as are most of us...........but anyone who can make money on any side of a trade has my repsect......

Keep up the commentary..............I enjoy it...............

-The Birdman

a willingness "to act on a massive scale" in the past.

A "shot across the bow" aimed toward the aggressive short sellers if ya ask me! It would appear that with last weeks action and the current technical indications, that Poole's statement on Friday coincides to a precursor of a serious decline in the indexes in the coming days. This is the Fed's way of saying, "Be a responsible short, or we will slam you hard when you least expect it!"

Archived