On Today's Program- Mahler's Funeral March 3/13/20

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, fxfox said:

With which Trump could claim dictatorial power. I am not speaking from any knowledge of the associated law but one can be certain it doesn't cover everything, so claiming it does can work.

50 minutes ago, Jorma said:

One probability is that news of increase in the number of cases and deaths from Cornonavirus will increase, at a near exponential rate, until September.  Discount if you will the rate increasing just arithmetically and peaking in June, and still try to imagine sentiment or the markets bottoming now.  

I have been heartened by the rapid shutdown in the past 72 hours of non-discretionary everything. Yesterday afternoon, Little League International "advised" local leagues to suspend seasons... ours followed suit.  Schools finally closing.

If someone had said 10 days ago that March Madness would be outright canceled, MLB opening day delayed and spring training ended, and the NBA was suspending the season, they'd have been laughed at.

I've been telling friends that the West Coast would be shut down by April... because there is no choice.  Initially, I got pushback - a lot of hoo-haw about "American culture" unwillingness to respond/respect quarantines. "It'll never happen."

It is the only answer - anyone paying any attention to China & Italy can see the obvious.

Which is to say that despite the jaw-dropping failures of the stupid orange fornicate to get out ahead of the obvious, and instead to cheer on social proximity and virus spread, I am actually encouraged by the past 72 hours.  There's a guy making the rounds on TV explaining how everyone in China gets checked for fever as they make their daily way: if they're diagnosed with one, they are immediately spirited to a testing spot and made to wait there for 4 hours for results. If it's positive, into isolation they go.

I was suspicious of Chinese numbers... but am increasingly persuaded. Expansive monitoring & isolation after weathering the initial failure to quarantine can afford some measure of normalcy that allows the medical infrastructure to manage smaller numbers of infected over a greater period of time.

The next two months will be very, very, very hard in my estimation... especially on the West Coast, where infection first appeared and got its greatest headstart. I am desperate to avoid catching it in this first wave, because ICU Roulette is the prospect; so my family is hunkered down as much as possible.  

I hope I'm wrong - I still see a lot of complacency when I'm out. Maybe everyone else "gets it.... No biggie." But that strikes me as akin to more bubble-mentality: cavalier complacency and the "easy" returns to risk-takers persist right up until until reality shatters it all.

Stay safe.

26 minutes ago, Jimi said:

I have been heartened by the rapid shutdown in the past 72 hours of non-discretionary everything. Yesterday afternoon, Little League International "advised" local leagues to suspend seasons... ours followed suit.  Schools finally closing.

Stay safe.

I hear you, and have been heartened, and puzzled, by the decline in new cases in Asia.  My addled brain can't get my head around why there would be a decline in new cases if the draconian forced isolation is eased. Which seems to be the case in China anyway.  

Here is something I picked up mid Feb  It is pure dumb modeling.  I am not sure it will display. An unknown format to me. I have it locally  and browsers will display it.

That's the disease side. How does the economy operate? There is going to be stupendous suspension of loan repayments. Up now, student loans. Many more to follow. How can that be accounted for?  Debt doesn't count anymore?  Just print?  Pretend the collateral means something?   Got me.

corona model.jfif

Archived