Wheelie Wednesday

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kotor Montenegro is certainly one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.  

The bay is surrounded by tall mountains. The sun drops behind them at 3:30 in the afternoon this time of year, and it gets dark, chilly, and forebodying. 

I don't like it. Reminds me too much of Lower Manhattan. 

40 minutes ago, DrStool said:

The bay is surrounded by tall mountains. The sun drops behind them at 3:30 in the afternoon this time of year, and it gets dark, chilly, and forebodying. 

You might note when you visit these old cities,  many  which still contain cores of great beauty, despite the fact that there has been no inflation of their values much above the background level for hundreds of years. Unlike America where if a city or town does not inflate for a few years, it decays.

4 minutes ago, Jorma said:

You might note when you visit these old cities,  many  which still contain cores of great beauty, despite the fact that there has been no inflation of their values much above the background level for hundreds of years. Unlike America where if a city or town does not inflate for a few years, it decays.

Largely true, although I don't know that their values haven't inflated more than other areas.

Also, there's plenty of decay in some of these old towns. Tourism has revived some, not all.  Dubrovnik and Salamanca are magnificent. Most of Spain's old towns are phenomal. I've seen dozens of them. 

Others are largely so, but some are really in bad shape if the tourist crowds haven't discovered them. I think particularly of Bastia, Corsica and Grasse, France. In Grasse, buildings collapse regularly. Many of them are inhabited by refugees from the Middle East.

Italy, I'm less familiar with. Florence is gritty in some places. Naples very much so. 

I know from anecdotal reports that some small old villages in Italy are giving property away to those who agree to renovate and move in.  

Pompeii is in ruins. Too far gone.  

😄😄😄

Fed meeting next week and for the first time in a long time there is very little chatter about it.  Do they dare utter a few tiny words about scaling back NotQE  and Temp operations, or dare I say it, increasing them. 

One tiny word on any kind of intent to pause would be a good excuse for a pullback. 

10 hours ago, DrStool said:

Was very nice in late summer.  Steps up the old city wall got a little narrow at the top.

Archived