World Stock Markets Trading Discussion - Delicate delusions

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All Ords 5-day chart

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=AU:XAO&uf=0&

http://bigcharts.mar...com/default.asp

All Ords waned over the day to finish +0.2%.  Gold +2.4% was the main gainer with Utilities moving into the red, -0.5%.

Over in Asia, China +0.2%, Hong Kong -0.1%, Japan +0.2%, India currently +5.4%!   

"In a major move, Finance Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman made several announcements for the corporate sector. The minister announced sharp cuts in corporation tax among a series of announcements. Sitharaman said the total revenue forgone on account of today's measures would be Rs 1.45 trillion per year."   https://www.business-standard.com/article/markets/market-live-sensex-nifty-gst-council-meet-gst-automobile-psbs-nirmala-fm-119092000116_1.html

UK/Europe opening in the red: FTSE and DAX -0.2%, CAC -0.1%.

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=UK:UKX&uf=0&

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=DX:DAX&uf=0&

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=FR:PX1&uf=0&

http://bigcharts.mar...com/default.asp

I am leaving for Europe this year on November 18. I plan to stay until June 4.  I will in part be scouting for a place for a  second  home, if not a semi-permanent home.

Part of my reason for going will be, not forward looking, but rather, remembrance. 

Because of the 90 day Schengen area visit limit, I'll need to spend 3 months in the Balkans in the middle of the trip.

I'll start in France, then Spain, Portugal, Spain again, and then to the South of France. Then mid trip I'll cross northern Italy, planning to swing down the Adriatic coast through Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Macedonia, and back. Then I'll finish up in Eastern and Western Europe, including a swing through Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Poland, Czechia, Germany, and France again.  

The visit to Poland is a matter of the heart. I will visit the village near Warsaw where my maternal grandparents, Isidore and Anna, grew up and lived; before they fled violence and economic hardship to come to America. 

My paternal ancestors came to America in the mid 1800s from Germany. I doubt that ancestral records of them exist, but perhaps I can find something. 

I remember that It was not so long ago that entire societies were complicit in mass murder and ethnic cleansing.  It happened in Europe in the mid 20th century, and again even as recently as the 1980s and 1990s in the Balkans. 

Here in the US, Trump is working toward establishing an authoritarian dictatorship that seethes with hatred for people with dark skin. Make no mistake. Genocide and ethnic cleansing could happen again. It could happen here, if we don't stand up against it in full force now.   

With that in mind, while in Poland, I'll go to Auschwitz to pay my respects to my cousins and all others whom the Nazis murdered. Then I will visit Buchenwald in Germany.  

We must always remember that all across Europe, including France and Poland where there were great resistance movements, the Nazis still had many collaborators. 

While there are always heros who fight against such evil, there are always many people willing to undertake heinous acts.

Before the Nazis it was Russian incited Polish mob pogroms that drove so many millions of Jews to America between 1880 and 1924. There's more than enough blood on the hands of many, to go around, not just the Germans. 

My grandfather served in the Czar's army, as a musician. I can't imagine what he may have experienced growing up in a land that had grown viciously and overtly anti-Semitic.

In those years the USA opened its arms for such migrants. "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." In those years Emma Lazarus words at the base of the Statue of Liberty meant something.

Merely seeing the seeds of the rebirth of mass hatred in our time, in the USA, is scary. 

To its credit, Germany has taken responsibility for its past, and endeavored to educate the world about what can happen, what did happen.   

Other nations have been less willing to self-examine.  In the US, we have been half-hearted in facing the role of our forebearers in the native American ethnic cleansing, or even slavery. Many Americans still celebrate Confederate "culture," a culture that depended on the enslavement of millions of people. There are millions of racists among us still, despite the lessons of history. 

Good people can no longer afford to stand silently and do nothing.  We must raise our voices.  

We must say, "Never again!" Loud and clear.    

So I'll go to these places to remember, to think, and to write. What else can I do?  What can any of us do to make this world a better place for everybody to live with respect and appreciation for our differences?  

We must all say, "Never again." Loud and clear.   

Archived