World Stock Markets Trading Discussion - Glittery gloss

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All Ords 5-day chart

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=AU:XAO&uf=0&

http://bigcharts.mar...com/default.asp

All Ords finished +0.6% for the day with sectors ranging from Consumer Staples +1.9% down to Gold -1.5%.

Over in Asia, China +2.6%, Hong Kong +1%, Japan +1.4%, India currently +1.1%.

UK/Europe off to the races: FTSE +0.9%, DAX +1.4%, CAC +1.1%.

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=UK%3AUKX&uf=

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=DX%3ADAX&uf=

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=FR%3APX1&uf=

http://bigcharts.mar...com/default.asp

It's MAGA baby.  

I am surprised that there has not been a surge in stock market bullishness in the media.  Instead there are never any stories about stocks and even the Lyft IPO barely got mention. Keep an eye on that by the way.  the $20+Bn cap of a biz that may never make money is something to see. Then there is Uber which is proposed to have an IPO cap of $120Bn. 

I have a very vague recollection of Google's IPO and thinking how is this thing going to make money? Goes to show you how smart I am. At least it does make money. I guess the long term idea of Lyft and Uber is that especially in urban areas car ownership going to plunge and somehow, some way,  these shared ride systems are going to fill the gap. The bigger lesson I think is it is no longer necessary to actually make profits in the new capitalism. In the seprate world where most all money remains in the financial system there is little to stop the endless bidding up of prices, Usually. 

Uber and Lyft face unlimited competition as  more and more local operators get in the business. This software is not rocket science.  

Now, I'm going  to go walk the streets of Zagreb again.  Just beautiful, lively, interesting, and even a bit grand city.  It's sort of a cross between Quebec and Madrid.  ?

Do  you have any impression of the residential parts of the city?  The  general condition of the buildings. 

It is impossible to imagine an American city or town which had no inflation of RE values for 60 years,say 1935 to 1995, not descending into total decay.  Most major US cities have finally started to recover their centers after years and years of deflation and decay.  Some mid sized cities too are at least having their cores recover but many many mid sized cities and small towns in flyover America have been in relentless decline for 50 years.  As I like to say,  In America places that don't inflate, deflate. If the possibility of inflation of property values disappears then investment in even basic maintenance disappears.

The need for inflation of assets is central to America. Essentially it  has totally replaced even profit. Which is why I say there is nothing that will stop monetary expansion in the service of asset inflation. WIthout asset inflation the US falls apart.  

I don't know how we are going to go through  this patch until the central banks begin to print in earnest again. You may have missed it but Trump is again starting to demand that the Fed "cut rates". We are doing it now because apparently there is not a loan that banks will refuse to make. I keep saying it. It's MAGA baby

I still say watch for the Fed this year to enter the short end big time.

There's a gritty side to Zagreb. I saw it today as I was wandering around. Wooof.  

If you judge a city by the density and appeal of its grocery stores, I have to give Zagreb an F. Too few and far between in town, and nasty.  Split was a B-. Nice gets an A.  

On the other hand, Zagreb has so many restaurants and cafes, who needs grocery stores? 

Rent is dirt cheap here. You can get a gorgeous 2 bedroom in the best neigbhorhood for under €1000. But prices for similar condos are extremely high, relative to rent.  Europe has had a massive housing inflation. I honestly don't know whether that trend has been true of this place, but I am really surprised how high the purchase prices are relative to rents. 

The other thing that I find strange in Europe is how little regard flat owners give to their building common areas. There's zero common area maintenance. None. People don't give a shit.  Admittedly the buildings I've stayed in are pretty middle class. I don't know how the high end stuff looks. But in  US midrange properties, you never see this kind of lack of interest in common areas. 

Archived