Sign in to follow this  
aussiebear

World Stock Markets Trading Discussion - Nomadic nuances

Rate this topic

Even non retirees are tapping ira and 401k accounts

Retirement accounts have withholding?  And if so, why would that have impacted February to such a degree?  

Most of my clients have taxes taken out of their IRA distributions usually 28%

16 minutes ago, Jorma said:

Deep question.  If a bottom isn't a nipple bottom is it a bottom?

Dec 18 was a nipple bottom, wasn‘t it? Therefore Dec 18 wss A bottom, but maybe not THE bottom 😉

The issue of withholding from retirement accounts is interesting. I'd assume that they'd be at a relatively constant background level, although with boomers retiring, this would be at a growing rate.  So a bulge like the one in February would still seem to be job related. I can't think of another more likely explanation. 

9 minutes ago, specie said:

Most of my clients have taxes taken out of their IRA distributions usually 28%

Yeah. I just researched it. They are subject to withholding.  

Ordinary stock sales or mutual fund redemptions are not subject to withholding.  

It should not go unremarked that March 9th is the tenth anniversary of the bottom. It's funny that for years I had remembered that was the day the Fed announced real QE, without the sterilization. Turns out that was on the 18th.  Neither here nor there. 

I think I remember looking at a 10 minute chart of C  flatlined at 1.01 and thinking WTF, buy a few thousand, they can't let C go under. I remember joking with that Jersey guy, ex Wall Streeter I think, I was calling it the snake in the grass formation.  I'm probably wrong on that number too. I think there was a 1-4 split after that but I still don't see 1.01 then in a monthly chart.  

5 minutes ago, Jorma said:

It should not go unremarked that March 9th is the tenth anniversary of the bottom. It's funny that for years I had remembered that was the day the Fed announced real QE, without the sterilization. Turns out that was on the 18th.  Neither here nor there. 

I think I remember looking at a 10 minute chart of C  flatlined at 1.01 and thinking WTF, buy a few thousand, they can't let C go under. I remember joking with that Jersey guy, ex Wall Streeter I think, I was calling it the snake in the grass formation.  I'm probably wrong on that number too. I think there was a 1-4 split after that but I still don't see 1.01 then in a monthly chart.  

C had a 10 to 1 reverse split in 2011.

The ultimate low in 2009 before the split was 97 CENTS.

25 minutes ago, DrStool said:

Ordinary stock sales or mutual fund redemptions are not subject to withholding.  

that is true inside the IRA.... but all withdrawals are subject to taxation .... I only withdraw a small enough amount to remain fed tax free. at this point anyway

Edited by No Einstein
slight correction

35 minutes ago, DrStool said:

The issue of withholding from retirement accounts is interesting. I'd assume that they'd be at a relatively constant background level, although with boomers retiring, this would be at a growing rate.  So a bulge like the one in February would still seem to be job related. I can't think of another more likely explanation. 

I agree....my friends and I take ours out in Dec. after we have determined the income we have had that year so we can decide on the amount of additional income and the tax consequences 

2 minutes ago, No Einstein said:

I agree....my friends and I take ours out in Dec. after we have determined the income we have had that year so we can decide on the amount of additional income and the tax consequences 

i just had a another thought....we don't have withholding...so we pay anything due when we file... i filed in FEB  

Interesting!!!!!

weak jobs is bullish of course.  But how weak were they?  Funny, the BLS revised the NSA number for January UP 100,000. Never saw an NSA adjustment that big.  And they countered it with the SA factor, resulting in an upward revision of just 10,000. 

There's just so much manipulation. 

jobs.png