World Stock Markets Trading Discussion - Carousel cruising

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All Ords 5-day chart

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=AU:XAO&uf=0&

http://bigcharts.mar...com/default.asp

An early close for All Ords with the index finishing +0.5%.  Sectors ranged from IT +1.3% down to Utilities -0.8%.

Over in Asia, China +0.4%, Hong Kong -0.4%, India currently flat.

UK/Europe about to open ..

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=UK%3AUKX&uf=

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=DX%3ADAX&uf=

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=FR%3APX1&uf=

http://bigcharts.mar...com/default.asp

19 minutes ago, BurntOnce said:

some guy on gloomberg says silver is

cheap to gold. the dollar is rapidly slipping

as the world currency. holding coins or bars is

better than an ETF.

Since Republic Metals filed bankruptcy in November, Silver bars and rounds have seen much tighter supply. The remaining brand name refiners are at least 2-3 weeks out for delivery. Premiums have also been rising since November

17 minutes ago, BurntOnce said:

some guy on gloomberg says silver is

cheap to gold. the dollar is rapidly slipping

as the world currency. holding coins or bars is

better than an ETF.

I've never been a gold or silver bug but I respect those who are and understand the market. I purchased some GLD and SLV this summer thinking things had bottomed and were ready for a rip up. That never happened. But I got out of GLD for a small gain. I'm still holding SLV for a small loss since it never got above $14.50 again. Having watched GLD and SLV respond this bear cycle and previously in the 2000 and 2008 bears I really get the impression that only GLD acts like real money and is a true hedge. SLV seems to trade more like any other commodity and really doesn't spike up when the market tanks predictably (or as a currency hedge). I recall in the last two bears SLV really went South for a long periods before recovering.  I think the next time around I will only trade GLD and not bother with SLV at least as a market/currency hedge. I think I'd only trade SLV if I had a good handle on manufacturing / production ratios, etc. much as I would with lumber or anything else. But this is not my area of expertise. Just a few musings.

Archived