Thankfully, Scam Week Is Done

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, quite remarkable and shows again how interconnected the global economy has become. besides the loss of manufacturing facilities, there is also the impact on the fragile Thai infrastructure. Many supporting road and rail facilities have been or are being damaged . Bringing a "clean" manufacturing environment back on line takes replacement equipment, which has to be ordered, built and shipped in. This will take a while to sort out.

It would be interesting to know how much inventory is consumed in the "normal" replacement cycle as opposed to the panic "hoarding" cycle.

This sort of event applies to all of us in our daily lives, the supply chain can be interrupted in a moment.

Be prepared...

Demand is certainly being pulled forward due to events and the future uncertainty of supply. I know our customers are trying to buy hardware one to two months ahead of time and I have been told by other sales people in the industry that other customers are doing the same. However, with the current "just in time" inventory system we have in place now there really wasn't much inventory to hoard. With this shock to the system drives disappeared from distribution in about three days. There are still shipments of drives currently in transit that may be arriving over the next few days but those shipments will be depleted rapidly.

Panic and hoarding while they make matters worse are unfortunately part of a supply chain disruption.

I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion about being prepared both on a personal level and on a macroeconomic level.

I know most of the members of this board are active technical traders and not exactly followers of fundamentals

Thanks for the post

I really like "boots on the ground" type of stuff

In addition, your observations provide the reason for the pop in STX on Friday....when STX was ramping intraday CNBC went to one of their paid plants who was full of reasons for the move, none of them even close to what you posted

Clearly the fact that WDC had to shut down and STX is able to keep their Tai facilities up and running (for now)....was the reason

big.chart?nosettings=1&symb=stx&uf=0&type=4&size=2&sid=5154815&style=320&freq=7&time=18&rand=529515380&compidx=aaaaa%3a0&comp=wdc&ma=0&maval=9&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&height=335&width=579&mocktick=1

Not to take anything away from TJ, but he tends to be early with the broad market calls IMHO. I remember his market drop calls during late spring/early summer. At one point Doc was counseling him that the top is in and patience is needed before the stocks drop!.

Ugh!

Please don't remind me

That was akin to swinging as hard as you can at a pitch only to turn around and get beaned in the nuts

quanta user_popup.png

Something to Watch

Has anyone been following the LENR (Low Energy Nuclear Reaction) results for Andrea Rossi’s Cat-E reactors?

Basically, he claims to have developed a Hydrogen-Nickel low temperature reactor which generates 25 kWh from a miniscule 3 cubic inch reactor.

Supposedly, he has ganged up these reactors to produce a 1 MWh reactor. The production release was due to run on October 28th in Athens...

The Secret Sauce is based on a proprietary catalyst which initiates the reaction. The end result is a transmutation of part of the Nickel to Copper. There are no radioactive emissions or end products produced by the reaction.

He runs a very responsive blog here.

English based interview

You mean cold fusion? Wait... I think I saw this movie, I believe it had Val Kilmer in it.

You mean cold fusion? Wait... I think I saw this movie, I believe it had Val Kilmer in it.

No it would be fission, Ni atomic number 28, to Co, 27. It rhymes with cold fusion in that low heat chemical processes supposedly produce nuclear reaction. That being the change of an element or a less stable isotope of an element into another. Don't take it from me, one who passed Physics for Idiots, pass fail, but this is incredibly if not impossibly odd.

The brief cold fusion mania was coincident with a brief strong stock market rally as I recall. And I mean coincident in the strictest sense, I think.

At the very heart of the economic problem, which is the problem arising from the belief that economic growth of the GDP kind should be endless if only we could get 'policy' just right, is the lack of cheap energy.

At the very heart of the economic problem, which is the problem arising from the belief that economic growth of the GDP kind should be endless if only we could get 'policy' just right, is the lack of cheap energy.

The concept of "GDP" is, in a word, nonsense

For reasons too numerous to discuss here....although a quick Google should set you on the path to truth

In addition, anytime you rely on statistics or data provided by someone else in order to draw a conclusion you are setting yourself up to look like a jackass

Unless you control the dataset from its origin, don't even bother

No it would be fission, Ni atomic number 28, to Co, 27. It rhymes with cold fusion in that low heat chemical processes supposedly produce nuclear reaction. That being the change of an element or a less stable isotope of an element into another. Don't take it from me, one who passed Physics for Idiots, pass fail, but this is incredibly if not impossibly odd.

The brief cold fusion mania was coincident with a brief strong stock market rally as I recall. And I mean coincident in the strictest sense, I think.

Yes, it does seem odd, however here is an explanation (somewhat weak IMHO) of how it works. Also another stab as to why the Nickel is transmuted into Copper.

I have taken several advanced physics courses, even this is a bit beyond what I am used to, however the independent results are encouraging.

In the long run, we shall see as they say.

Just want to update the news from the noise.

Yes, it does seem odd, however here is an explanation (somewhat weak IMHO) of how it works. Also another stab as to why the Nickel is transmuted into Copper.

I have taken several advanced physics courses, even this is a bit beyond what I am used to, however the independent results are encouraging.

In the long run, we shall see as they say.

Just want to update the news from the noise.

Quanta, thanks for this and all the other unheard of stuff you post. I am sending the info to a physicist I know to see what his opinion on it is.

Quanta, thanks for this and all the other unheard of stuff you post. I am sending the info to a physicist I know to see what his opinion on it is.

Thank you. I am still very much a skeptic on this issue, however, the experimental results will either prove it or not.

Replicating the process, at the moment is hard to verify, as the scientist involved has decided to keep the the fundamental catalyst a secret, pending a patent. Very stupid approach, but given the consequences, mebbe not.

Rossi has taken the Edison approach and tried hundreds of variations in developing the reactor.

This used to be the traditional way of pure research and development, however nowadays it is typically derided.

There have been 3 demos of this so far and all have been successfully received, but the underlying physics have not been completely understood.

The big tell will be whether or not the promised Oct 28th 1 Mhw experiment comes off and the underlying process revealed (so he says).

As Drano says, it could all be BS, but let it play out...

At the least it causes a pause for thought.

Archived