14 trading hours,700+ points

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on now Dr. Stool, what you do is kinda helpful as well.rolleyes.gif

Channelingstocks.COM!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Who doesn't remember that?

About 1/3 of my daily letter is devoted to linear equal vertical width channels and regression channels.

Chart channels have been effective by practitioners here for years, whether Hurst cebtered channels, Keltner channels, price trend line channels, the English Channel, and scratch'n sniff Chanel #5.

I really like Doc's centered channels.

I use moving averages and eyeball and estimate the middles and fiddles. Good enough... :lol:

Sometimes we are ChannelingSchlocks.com, just better at it...on the [w]hole. :lol:

It is the sum of us all that makes the board formidable to the markets.

I must pay my respect to Steve Jobs [the dead guy].

On the alters of salesmanship and capitalism, who else can have an operating system and $199 of chips, circuit board and plastic sell for $3000 or more

...and make the other guy with a hunnerd buck OS and the most competitive infinite assembly and component selection of $199 stuff look like the bad guy! :lol:

Rest in peace, Steve.

I must pay my respect to Steve Jobs [the dead guy].

On the alters of salesmanship and capitalism, who else can have an operating system and $199 of chips, circuit board and plastic sell for $3000 or more

...and make the other guy with a hunnerd buck OS and the most competitive infinite assembly and component selection of $199 stuff look like the bad guy! :lol:

Rest in peace, Steve.

It is a disturbing trend that intellectual property is not valued. You look at a Mac, which by the way one can buy for less than $700, as a collection of components worth a few hundred bucks at most. You fail to factor in the most important component, the operating system, which has cost the company untold millions over the years to develop into the smooth, stable, easy to use platform beloved by those who do not want to spend time maintaining their systems (non-engineers, who are by far the largest percentage of computer owners).

A computer is not just a collection of electronic parts. The parts are useless without the intellectual property. Personally, I'd rather pay a little more for a superior operating system that doesn't crash very often, is much less susceptible to viruses and malware, and, when I get a new printer or other peripheral, will connect itself to the internet, download any updates, and install the thing without my doing anything more than plugging in a cable and making a few mouse clicks. My time is worth something, and if I pay a SMALL amount more for a more user-friendly operating system, why shouldn't the provider of this service make a profit? (And according to PC World, a Mac does NOT cost more than a PC, when computers of similar power are compared.)

The snobbism that those who enjoy spending time installing peripherals, programming, dealing with software, etc. so often direct at the rest of us, who just want to use the thing to accomplish tasks, reminds me very much of an interview I saw many years ago. A Russian car owner was talking about how there were so few service stations in Russia that anyone owning a car had to be able to do most repairs, including rather sophisticated ones like replacing fuel pumps, etc. And since the Russian-made cars available at that time were mostly of low quality, repairs were frequent. He looked into the camera lens and snarled, "If you don't know how to repair your car, you don't DESERVE to drive."

I'm grateful to Steve Jobs for having the vision and business acumen to make a computer that an average person can drive, and incidentally for making possible desktop publishing, making studio-quality recording available to individuals, making accounting easier for non-accountants, and the countless ways that computers have leveled the playing field for the small businessperson and artists.

The snobbism that those who enjoy spending time installing peripherals, programming, dealing with software, etc. so often direct at the rest of us, who just want to use the thing to accomplish tasks, reminds me very much of an interview I saw many years ago. A Russian car owner was talking about how there were so few service stations in Russia that anyone owning a car had to be able to do most repairs, including rather sophisticated ones like replacing fuel pumps, etc. And since the Russian-made cars available at that time were mostly of low quality, repairs were frequent. He looked into the camera lens and snarled, "If you don't know how to repair your car, you don't DESERVE to drive."

Actually, Windoze does all that now, but Jobs did it first, and his products inspired millions of people to love them. You can't say that for Gates.

That being said, I usually pay between $300 and $400 for my Windoze computers, the last 3 of which have all been laptops. They've usually worked pretty well, although I didn't like Vista at all. My current $350 laptop is now almost 2 years old, runs 2 monitors, including a big screen plug in, and a scad of programs flawlessly, although after a day of having a bunch of shit open and doing reams of calcs and word processing and recording a podcast and running a bunch of streaming charts and listening to a Phillies game, it does need to be rebooted the next day. If I leave it on all night, it gets cranky after working that hard for 14 hours. They do need their rest.

For my money, the 5th or 6th generation Acers are tops. Cheap, reliable, plenty powerful, good video, all the bells and whistles I could want, and they run every possible thing I could want running at one time. My Toshiba is ok, but lacks a few of the features my cheaper Acers have. The other thing I like about em is that you can always negotiate a better price with the store manager at Best Buy on an older floor model. Don't think you can with Apple, but I could be wrong.

It is a disturbing trend that intellectual property is not valued. You look at a Mac, which by the way one can buy for less than $700, as a collection of components worth a few hundred bucks at most. You fail to factor in the most important component, the operating system, which has cost the company untold millions over the years to develop into the smooth, stable, easy to use platform beloved by those who do not want to spend time maintaining their systems (non-engineers, who are by far the largest percentage of computer owners).

A computer is not just a collection of electronic parts. The parts are useless without the intellectual property. Personally, I'd rather pay a little more for a superior operating system that doesn't crash very often, is much less susceptible to viruses and malware, and, when I get a new printer or other peripheral, will connect itself to the internet, download any updates, and install the thing without my doing anything more than plugging in a cable and making a few mouse clicks. My time is worth something, and if I pay a SMALL amount more for a more user-friendly operating system, why shouldn't the provider of this service make a profit? (And according to PC World, a Mac does NOT cost more than a PC, when computers of similar power are compared.)

I'm grateful to Steve Jobs for having the vision and business acumen to make a computer that an average person can drive, and incidentally for making possible desktop publishing, making studio-quality recording available to individuals, making accounting easier for non-accountants, and the countless ways that computers have leveled the playing field for the small businessperson and artists.

Computer maintenance for me is running the vacum cleaner over it every now and then. I use the brush attachment... :lol: :D

...really! :huh:

Archived