Dippers destroyed

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still think that is a violation of Federal law. There are Federal subsidies that provide milk to the schools and there are guidelines as to what the schools are MANDATED to provide, if they have accepted any Federal money, which they all do. I suggest again that you contact the school board and make sure that they are aware of what the principal at the school is doing. (That business of refusing to let the church pay the lunch bills is disgraceful.) If that fails, perhaps you could buy some pitchforks, tar, and feathers for the parents to use.

Federal law is apparently only to help the banks..... <_<

I still think that is a violation of Federal law. There are Federal subsidies that provide milk to the schools and there are guidelines as to what the schools are MANDATED to provide, if they have accepted any Federal money, which they all do. I suggest again that you contact the school board and make sure that they are aware of what the principal at the school is doing. (That business of refusing to let the church pay the lunch bills is disgraceful.) If that fails, perhaps you could buy some pitchforks, tar, and feathers for the parents to use.

That school district allows students to charge meals. When a student charges too much - I don't know how they set the limit - their credit is cut off until they can pay it down or get caught up completely. Until then, they are given peanut butter and crackers. As far as the milk goes, I am not sure about that one, that was what I had heard. The pastor of a local church outside of town has been involved in helping these kids by taking up offerings. He was the one that informed me of the situation and his info is accurate, although he never mentioned the milk, as I heard that from another source which may not be accurate or have an ax to grind with the school and trying to make the situation look worse. Anyway, I thought the milk was supposed to be provided for some of the reasons you stated above. Restricting the milk wouldn't surprise me, though, as the school district has had many problems in the past relating to students. I grew up in that school and it was a lot different then, but that has been many years ago. An old friend of mine, who also went to that school, still lives in the area and has taken his kids out of that school for various reasons. He says that it is run like a prison.

I tried listening to the youtube embed.

It stops and starts, stops and starts, stops and starts.

Pretty much chronic for me with youtube links these days, either accessed here or directly.

Anyone else finding youtube has begun to suck royally rendering it worthless?

Or is it just my ISP or something?

Regular web browsing is OK?

Have you tried streaming video from other sites like Hulu or Vimeo? What about audio streams from an Internet radio station? If streaming in general sucks, then it is because you are dropping packets. If you're on Cable, then maybe the local neighborhood link is over subscribed. Streaming is UDP protocol, which means that delivery is not guaranteed and with a heavily used connection you can experience packet loss, similar to what you are seeing...

Packet loss can also occur due to bad cabling or a defective router. If it's wireless, there may be interference.

As someone previously noted trying a speedtest site will give you a benchmark, but it won't help much if you haven't done one before this started.

Reboot everything and see what happens...

:rolleyes:

More Dollar Strength?

“The Federal Reserve will also be working with its central bank counterparties to close its temporary liquidity swap arrangements by February 1.”

By providing these currency swaps with other central banks, the Fed helped to inject dollar liquidity into banks around the world.

In panel A, while the Fed and other central banks were cutting benchmark interest rates to the bone (the white line), the Libor rate (the orange line), or the rates at which banks make short term loans between themselves, was going in the opposite direction.

panelAandB.gif

Subsequently, when the dollar swap lines were rolled out, you can see in panel B how this divergence was reversed.

what these currency swaps did was increase the supply of U.S. dollars in the global markets �" a negative drag on the value of the dollar.

So with the Fed announcing that it will close its currency swap lines with foreign central banks by February 1, the unlimited access to dollars by foreign central banks has come to an end.

So what does this mean for the US Markets as the cost increases for those trading in non-dollar currencies?

And what about the cost of US exports?

Would this have an effect on interest rates?

:unsure:

This is another case of identifying an issue after the horse is out of the barn, the barn door has shut, and the horse has been kicked in the ass. The swaps lines have been winding down since peaking at $570 billion in November 2008, in other words for the last 14 months. The amounts have been inconsequential for the past several months, with just $1.25 billion remaining 2 weeks ago and $175 million last week. In other words, the impact of the unwinding have already been felt. So there are already a lot fewer dollars sloshing around out there from this source. But it's a complicated issue, and can't be looked at it as if it happened in a vacuum.

Just in case anyone missed the exchange between the congressman Stephen Lynch (D-MA) and Timmy.

EDIT: Added Marcy Kaptur exchange

Awesome! Thanks for posting! In Germany something like that wouldnt be aired live, something like that only happens behind closed doors. :(

That school district allows students to charge meals. When a student charges too much - I don't know how they set the limit - their credit is cut off until they can pay it down or get caught up completely. Until then, they are given peanut butter and crackers. As far as the milk goes, I am not sure about that one, that was what I had heard. The pastor of a local church outside of town has been involved in helping these kids by taking up offerings. He was the one that informed me of the situation and his info is accurate, although he never mentioned the milk, as I heard that from another source which may not be accurate or have an ax to grind with the school and trying to make the situation look worse. Anyway, I thought the milk was supposed to be provided for some of the reasons you stated above. Restricting the milk wouldn't surprise me, though, as the school district has had many problems in the past relating to students. I grew up in that school and it was a lot different then, but that has been many years ago. An old friend of mine, who also went to that school, still lives in the area and has taken his kids out of that school for various reasons. He says that it is run like a prison.

Psyche, I hope that you and/or other folks who know the place can find a way to turn the situation around. These "No good deed goes unpunished" patterns-- like the one where a church takes an offering to help kids to have a real lunch to eat, and then they are told "You aren't allowed to help"-- are highly destructive to communities & societies. They are even worse when they take place in a school full of young vulnerable children. These kids could grow up believing that no one is willing to help them, even when they are hungry, when the opposite is in fact true. They could end up forming a view of the world as colder, harsher, & lonelier place than it actually is, & that view could negatively affect them & their associates for the rest of their lives.

Psyche, I hope that you and/or other folks who know the place can find a way to turn the situation around. These "No good deed goes unpunished" patterns-- like the one where a church takes an offering to help kids to have a real lunch to eat, and then they are told "You aren't allowed to help"-- are highly destructive to communities & societies. They are even worse when they take place in a school full of young vulnerable children. These kids could grow up believing that no one is willing to help them, even when they are hungry, when the opposite is in fact true. They could end up forming a view of the world as colder, harsher, & lonelier place than it actually is, & that view could negatively affect them & their associates for the rest of their lives.

The school board is composed of a bunch of idiots. Most of them grew up in the area, don't have a freaking clue, and most of them, for the first time in their life, are in a position of authority. The principal is also an idiot. The thing that really pissed me off is that the employees that run the kitchen aren't allowed to help the kids financially or they will get fired immediately. Up until this most recent incident, some of the cooks would help a kid here or there by paying for a meal. The school dictator recently has put an end to this "heinous" practice. If I had a kid in that school, I would be making life very difficult for some of those idiots. I no longer live in the area and haven't since I was 18 - I am 36, now.

Yen pairs are meassurment of willigness to take risk. If Yen goes down, means folks take more risk, if Yen goes up risk is being reduced. That is the carry trade.

In the following charts we see very nicely how Yen pairs moved more or less together with the S&P500. In GBP/JPY the correlation was nearly 100% it seems. Since circa August 09 there is this disconnection visible: S&P500 goes up more, but Yen pairs refuse to, that means that willingness to take more risk - borrowing money for speculation via the carry trade - isnt there anymore.

So now is the question: Who has to catch up? Yen pairs or the S&P500? I beleive that the FX market knows more than the stock market, or however one wants to call that. So I think that stocks will follow the Yen pairs down. Maybe we see the number of the beast again. Everyone here would be satisfied and maybe Doc wouldnt mock me again because of GM. That long term GM chart was done years ago by my cousin Herr Stockfuchs! :lol:

post-510-1264890080_thumb.png

post-510-1264890094_thumb.png

post-510-1264890115_thumb.png

I remind you that GS saw 5,8% GDP for 4 2009, at JAN 16 2010:

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/goldman-b...pected-continue

well, almost 100% correct. this is how they see the future:

Q1 2010 - 2.5% GDP

Q2 2010 - 2.0% GDP

Q3 2010 - 1.5% GDP

Q4 2010 - 1.5% GDP

So, If someone believe - "markets see the futures" then indexes must go down...Of course its true if any one of you believe in this "markets know the future, leads the economy etc"

Archived