Bully trapped....Douches happy

Yours is often a thankless job Dr. Stool. Your dedication and perseverance are remarkable. The world wouldn't be the same without CS, your baby-shid-yellow beacon of truth.

And fwiw, I think being a good citizen of stooleville is pretty straightforward. Some people are just better than others at expressing skepticism constructively....

Let's all stick to the high road so that we can enjoy watching this pig go down.

peace out, you douches

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Without the hedge they would still be exposed on the coupon cash flows.

2. Remember that for a market maker, the hedges are made irrespective of how shi**y the underlying asset is. The only difference is the cost of the hedge, and thus the width of the spread the MM is making.

The ratings agencies were the criminals here IMO. The sell side was just making a market, and, as usual, the buy side got greedy.

Over time -- It always pays to run an over-round book & it never pays to buy from the book maker.

1. as i mentioned before...they don't own the mbs...they packaged and sold it. the poor saps that bought it are(or were) getting the coupon cash flows you mentioned.

2. By definition- a hedge is an offsetting position(which they did not have).....i would say that they were speculating--but lets face it--they knew what was going to happen to these horrible loans....they never had skin in the game....you don't really think they kept this crap on their books do you?

3. When you knowingly pay for false ratings it is fraud.....it is non disclosure of a material fact(among other things)....if any normal person did it...they would go to jail.

In the spirit of shorty Mr. Market can go pound sand. I would like to see this week provide an interesting monthly bar that closes below last months low of 1085.89. The only problem I have with Mr. Market is Mr. Widget could be 7 days into this latest cycle and the pigmen have a tendency to jerk bears the first day of the week.

It's change we need.

Can there be a cloture vote before the filibuster begins. We have 5 holds-- 5 senators who have declared that they WILL filibuster. Doesn't that guarantee that there will be a filibuster.

This nomination smells dead to me.

Filibuster is complicated. Today there is none of that messy stuff with Senators talking for 24 hours straight and others sleeping in cots in the hallway. Now the opponents just say they will do this if the bill is brought to the floor so then the leader never brings it to the floor, as long as he does not have the current, 60 votes for ending debate, ie cloture. In this case and every one Reid could bring the bill to the floor and let them start talking but there is a catch in that other Senate rules require those wanting a vote to stick around to maintain a quorum. I don't know all the details but it amounts to Senators not wanting to be stuck hanging around for days on end.

read about it here. Go down to the 20th century for the most relevant partl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster

This filibuster thing isn't automatic just because XX senators say they will vote against. Those opponents have to get together and pledge to vote against cloture then they can to to Reid and declare their filibuster. So then he never brings the bill up. It's all a shadow play. The filibuster is just a threat. It never happens. The meaning has been attunated. Stripped of real meaning. A proceedural theater.

I don't see that happening here because unlike health care and other things were one or two nominal Democrats, Leiberman basically, joins in the filibuster, this would take perhaps a dozen or more Democrats to join in. This is unlikely because it is their presidents nomination. You don't do this to your own party.

As an aside no other country adopted our system. Most everyone else has a parliamentary system. There, everyone votes along party lines. Until something big comes along and some in the majority defect in which case a new election has to be called. And the Prime Minister is just the party leader. Not a separately elected person. In essence having a referendum on the party leader and the party. With this filibuster fetish we have a sort of parliamentary thing going on except 40 percent of one chamber can just stop legislation and then, nothing. No new election. Just nothing. Not a majority even, just 40 percent. While the rules have changed and this whole thing is a bunch or Senate rules having zero constitutional basis, filibuster has always been rare or very very very rare because even the crassest of politicians seemed to have the notion that majority rule should mean something. You know, democracy. So it was not used much. Mostly to maintain the sacred southern principal of racial segregation. You know, really important stuff. Not 100 things as are currently being held up.

I've said it before. This whole filibuster thing is exceptionally bearish because it is so un democratic and so paralyzing and nobody has to take responsibility It has a bizarre element as well.. There was a headline the other day in some paper saying the Dems had lost their majority in the senate. In other words 59/41 is a minority. Try to look that up in the math books or the constitution. The rest of the world must be looking on in horror.

Parliamentary democracy seems to me to be a far superior form of government to the mess The US Constitution has wrought, but let's not go into that here. If you want, start a thread on Look Out Below about why the Constitution sucks and the Founding Fathers were a bunch of overzealous jackasses. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I've really begun to think that over the past several years. :o

trader the joe:

was up around denver and glenwood springs in september. should've looked you up.

pretty amazing scenery in them thar parts.

I've actually been back in NJ "doing God's work" for awhile now, so my CO trips are onesy's twosey's to see the GF and visey versey

Although, one place I have been to that I will never go again is Loveland Pass, I was riding shotgun and almost had a heart attack going up that road. You would think that if you had a 1,000 foot drop off on a windy mountain road going up 12,000 feet, it would be a good place for a guardrail. In CO, the answer to that is, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

loveland-pass-colorado1.jpg

Sunday count...

That brings to 16 the number of senators who have said they would oppose him, according to the Dow Jones Newswires tally. Eleven Republicans, four Democrats and one independent, Bernie Sanders of Vermont, have said they would vote no. Mr. Sanders has led the charge from the left against Mr. Bernanke.

wsj

I've actually been back in NJ "doing God's work" for awhile now, so my CO trips are onesy's twosey's to see the GF and visey versey

Although, one place I have been to that I will never go again is Loveland Pass, I was riding shotgun and almost had a heart attack going up that road. You would think that if you had a 1,000 foot drop off on a windy mountain road going up 12,000 feet, it would be a good place for a guardrail. In CO, the answer to that is, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

TJ driving up Loveland Pass, at 3:04 i thought we would loose him:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest Story

Surprise, Surprise! NOT- Professional Edition

January 24, 2010 By Lee Adler Stocks sold off and the Treasury market got a boost, coming into a week where the government will be offering $94 billion in new notes. Are we surprised? Maybe it is a coincidence that stock market sentiment was shaken last week and that money rushed into Treasuries, but this setup was ripe, and we’ve been talking about the likelihood of this happening at this juncture for a few weeks. Click here to download complete report in pdf format (Professional Edition Subscribers). Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time, you don’t find the information useful, I will give you a full refund. It’s that simple. Click here for more information.

Man, reminds me of driving through British Columbia through a snowstorm. I think I was driving like 20 mph until I got to Alberta . . . ooooofffffaaaahhhh

swenlin snippet: "The weekly-based chart of the S&P 500 shows that the PMO has topped at a very overbought level, hinting that we may be at an important top. On the positive side, the price index is holding above the long-term declining tops line."

post-5990-1264314543_thumb.png

another snippet: "Bottom Line: We have just witnessed the worst three-day decline since the March 2009 bottom. I think it is the beginning of a more substantial decline, but short-term indicators are so Dover Sole that the next thing we will probably see is a bounce."

http://www.decisionpoint.com/ChartSpotlite...0122_cspot.html

Depends. Carl is using a linear chart there when most would say anything over 6 mo. should be log. Here's a log version.

post-2253-1264355959_thumb.png

I've been through those parts, including Pike's Peak. I had a relative that lived in the foothills of the Front Range near Pike's peak. The hill he lived on was real close to Crystal Mountain. I would always venture up there from the south out of Arizona. Anyway, I know what you mean about the winding roads with no guard rails and terrifying drops. It's been many years since I've been through those parts, but I would assume the treachery is still the same.

Archived