Op/Ex Reversal......

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Gang...

I just got a call that my Dad passed away somewhat unexpectedly after having spent the last few years with major complications from heart disease and diabetes.

He was only 71, and should have been enjoying his retirement years playing golf and the like.

If any of you are eating a crap diet and you know it, please stop. My dad was a classic example of what the average American diet full of fat and junk carbs will do to you.

Hey K,

Sorry to hear about your pops. My prayers are with you.

However, on a related note, 2-tings:

[1] While I have always been very active physically (weights, biking, walking, etc) and eat healthy (the occasional KFC or Taco Bell was my sin) as a result of your post from awhile back I switched my diet significantly. I read the China Study, and watched King Corn and Food Inc. That was all she wrote. Now I am rockin' it Vegan and don't miss red meat, chicken, sausage, dairy, etc at all.

Still early in the game to notice any physical changes (well, other than my strength jumping an immediate 20% on some weight exercises) as I don't really have any weight to loose to begin with, but I definitely noticed the ability to focus much more intensely on things without fatigue (a point you had mentioned) -- which, when it comes to trading means mo money, mo money, mo money.

My GF had already gone 85% Vegan a year ago, so now were "in it together."

[2] My dad, who's now in his 70's suffered a quad-bypass several years back. The guy eats well (and no smokey & no drinky) and is very trim, but spent 45 or so years behind a drafting table. Long story short, his exercise routine was = zero. As a result, arterial plaque was able to build-up and almost took him out. Up until the time he got his surgery he looked like sh*t. But I thought it was just him getting old.

After the surgery, he started walking a mile or two every day -- which, with two artificial knees ain't easy.

In a word, the difference was astounding. It took 15 years off him easy.

Vegan diets work very well for many people. But some people (like me) NEED animal protein to stay healthy. As long as you mostly use some reasonable quantities of fish, eggs, and chicken for your protein, you are not going to raise your cholesterol. (Yes, eggs ARE okay to eat -- some studies have shown that they make no difference in cholesterol levels, other have shown that people who eat eggs actually have LOWER cholesterol.) It is very important for brain and vein health to get the "good" fats like olive oil and other monounsaturated fats in your diet. Many people think that MCT oil (available at health food stores, totally tasteless -- it's "medium chain triglyerides" derived from coconut oil) and coconut oil --IN MODERATION -- are very helpful both for brain function and, in the case of coconut oil, for natural anti-viral/anti-fungal/anti-bacteial properties. (Don't overdo it on the coconut oil or it WILL raise your cholesterol.) And dairy products, for SOME people, are necessary.

Different diets work for different people. I have a friend who thrives on a macrobiotic diet. Whenever I went to his place for dinner, I felt like crap for days afterward. There is a book about the "blood type" diet, and also there are books about body types and what diets you need.

Aussie Dollar/US Bucky hourly

very nice setup here. When the red line goes this thing will drop significantly. Also note that the ema13 isnt far away from the tunnel, with whom the Aussie fights right now. Also note the doji which I marked blue for you: Brutally negated like a red haired stepchild at the fibo, means that there are already players who are big fat ass positioned short.

post-510-1263664006_thumb.png

post-510-1263664016_thumb.png

Vegan diets work very well for many people. But some people (like me) NEED animal protein to stay healthy. As long as you mostly use some reasonable quantities of fish, eggs, and chicken for your protein, you are not going to raise your cholesterol. (Yes, eggs ARE okay to eat -- some studies have shown that they make no difference in cholesterol levels, other have shown that people who eat eggs actually have LOWER cholesterol.) It is very important for brain and vein health to get the "good" fats like olive oil and other monounsaturated fats in your diet. Many people think that MCT oil (available at health food stores, totally tasteless -- it's "medium chain triglyerides" derived from coconut oil) and coconut oil --IN MODERATION -- are very helpful both for brain function and, in the case of coconut oil, for natural anti-viral/anti-fungal/anti-bacteial properties. (Don't overdo it on the coconut oil or it WILL raise your cholesterol.) And dairy products, for SOME people, are necessary.

Different diets work for different people. I have a friend who thrives on a macrobiotic diet. Whenever I went to his place for dinner, I felt like crap for days afterward. There is a book about the "blood type" diet, and also there are books about body types and what diets you need.

I also need animal protein. I hit the weights regularly. I am not into the nautilus or universal type equipment, but good old fashioned iron. Back in the day, I used to be able to squat 500 lbs, bench 345, and deadlift 475 and weighed a lean 175lbs. Heck, when I was 20, I could throw up 325 on the bench and weighed 160lbs. I am not at those levels now, but I can probably bench 225 for 15-20 reps. That kind of lifting requires good high-quality protien and lots of it. I like eggs which have a biological protein greater than any other natural food. I also like chicken and fish, like tuna and salmon which also are loaded with the omega fats. You can also get good protein from veggies and beans, especially the latter, but if you are into some serious lifting you need the stuff that comes from animals, mixed in with the veggies and beans, of course. As far as supplements, whey protein is great and is absorbed into the system very fast. If you are a normal person, nothing wrong with vegetarian, though. Regardless of your lifestyle, everyone should stay away from the refined foods, especially the fast foods. Try and eat things that are whole and not processed. Drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.

There is a local strip mall down the road. It has the usual stuff like grocery store, Target, Home Despot, etc. I frequent it a lot and every time I do, I am astonished at the number of fat people going to and fro. I am not kidding you 80% of the people I see shopping there are fat and most obese. No wonder our health care system is inundated.

K,My condolences to you and your family......Remember you have a family that cares about you right here at the Stool.

My dad had 2 heart attacks at 65,Had a double bypass (By Dr.oz no less).Ate alot of crap,at work ,always on the run,stressed all the time.Thankfully he is now 72 and is now working out 3 days a week,skiing,hiking and eating better.But the damage is done and I worry about him every day.

My family has a long history of heart attacks,dementia and alzheimers,I am truely scared for my future. :mellow:

Ok any of you douchebags on this site? :) Pretty funny site. Have a good weekend all!

Hot Chicks with Douchebags

Dude,you got me addicted to this site....Fuuniest crap ever!These dudes are all over north Jersey and NY,Tons in vegas too.On the site,If you scroll down to the left it shows you the best of the best.I was up laughing till 2am last night.

This guy takes the cake though....http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/2007/10/after-prompa-party.html

post-404-1263669182_thumb.jpg

I live in northwest Ohio and there are plenty of hot chicks here with douche bags. There is one particular hotty that I know that used to work at the diner. She's probably about 24 now. She's with this douche bag who is much older and looks like some freak out of the Adams Family. Every time I see them together, I just look in disbelief. As a couple, they stick out like a sore thumb. There has to be a place for this somewhere in the DSM IV.

Dude,you got me addicted to this site....Fuuniest crap ever!These dudes are all over north Jersey and NY,Tons in vegas too.On the site,If you scroll down to the left it shows you the best of the best.I was up laughing till 2am last night.

This guy takes the cake though....http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/2007/10/after-prompa-party.html

How do they get their hair to do that? It seems unnatural and unseemly for a man. They look like they have been hard wired to 220V.

Hey K,

…as a result of your post from awhile back I switched my diet significantly. I read the China Study, and watched King Corn and Food Inc. That was all she wrote. Now I am rockin' it Vegan and don't miss red meat, chicken, sausage, dairy, etc at all.

the timing of the recent discussion here on food was perfect for me. i had just read about half of the omnivore's dilemma and based on the mention here, i rented and viewed food inc., which is an ideal companion piece to that book. it has drastically changed my approach to food.

i love cheeseburgers. i'm good for about five a week. no mc d's or burger king; but higher end local chains (five guys and ottomanelli's if you happen to know them. there is an ottomanelli's across the street from my house).

since i read that book, about a month ago, i have not had a single burger.

i grew up in an agricultural area (davis, cali), and attended an ag school for two years (uc davis). by proximity, i knew about the food chain, as it existed in the early-mid 70s. i'd been on farms, cattle feed lots, seen chicken coops. my best friend, his father was the chief lamb buyer for armour for the western us. another friend, his dad was a big executive at cargil. the book and that film re-educated me that the processing of food in the usa is drastically different today than thirty years ago. i was completely oblivious to the changes, and to the health ramifications of the industrialization of the american food chain.

i love meat, but i have lost my taste for industrially produced beef, pork and chicken. i look at the meat cold case in the grocery store, and i lose my appetite.

i've already found a couple of high end butchers who carry naturally raised meat. it costs more but i am lucky to be easily able to afford the higher prices. tastes much different, much better. and i have been cooking much more often, and eating much less meat w/o making a conscious decision to do so. instead the choice to eschew industrial meat results in more salads as a matter of convenience. i think i am feeling better, and i have dropped a couple of pounds in the past month.

anyway, thanks to you guys and gals, for that discussion. i really enjoy the off-topic threads we get evenings and weekends. in part because i have little to contribute to the trader/finance/econ talk, since i don't know nuthin beyond what y'all have taught me. especially doc, and his wall street examiner professional edition.

Yes, too funny. The one below was under the link Poo! :)

tan-711231.jpg

Archived