• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jim Willie really tells it like it is.

If your looking for a good read, he spells out the process by which the whole financial system will collapse. Either we'll watch foreign country debt dominos fall, a/o the US govt will default on our debt. He makes a great case about the insolvency of the Fed.

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_08/willie121509.html

"Two major billboards must be written and read. 1) The USFed is insolvent. 2) The USFed is dangerously over-leveraged. According to its latest report, the US Federal Reserve owns over $1 trillion of mortgage backed securities, equal to 45.6% of the entire portfolio. One year ago mortgage backed securities were under 1% of its total assets. Actually the number was 0.6%, to make a 76-fold increase in toxic mortgage bond assets on the USFed balance sheet. The credit market actually believes the USFed stepped in and helped the system. But in doing so, they killed themselves. Just like other major banks such as the Wall Street firms, the USFed is very highly leveraged. The USFed carries $2157 billion of debt on $52.8 billion of capital, producing a leverage ratio of 40.8 to 1 ratio. Think over-leveraged, insolvent, and dead, but not yet declared dead."

Jim Willie has written some of the dumbest stuff I have read for a long while.

This is fringe area economic ass-clown stuff.

How exactly can a central bank become insolvent?

Think about it.

Speaking of strategic planning sessions. When I first started trading in 2007 I thought I would come up with a plan (see below) to direct my trading and longer term plays. Man did this go out the window quick! Crazy times.

"At the end of each year I develop a list of possible future facts and attempt to determine the possible implications of each to help direct my trading and investments for the year. Below is a partial list of what I came up with for 2008.

Future Facts

1. Demographic bulge of U.S. Seniors (Under Funded Entitlements - S.S. & Medicare)

Implications:

a. Unsustainable Gov't Deficits (all sellers and no buyers of U.S. Treasuries) - Rising Interest Rates - thanks to the credit crisis the 10 year has already seen the bottom. Maybe we will see Disco and Bell Bottoms come back in fashion!

b. Serious Healthcare Reform for Medicare focusing on Preventative and Quality of Care Initiatives (impacts HMOs (HUM, UNH, CI, etc.) and benefits healthcare technology companies (CERN, TZIX, EPIQ, MCK, etc.) - If this fails then my guess is we move to a single payer system (i.e. Gov't)

c. Aging and exiting workforce driving the need for knowledge management and transfer benefitting Consultants (ACN, RHI, IBM, etc.) and Enterprise System developers (ORCL, SAS, MSFT, etc.)

2. Rising World Population & Increase in Number of Developing Countries

Implications:

a. Food and Commodity shortage - exacerbated by climate change

Implications: Long Agriculture and ancillaries (Favorites, POT, MOS, MON, TNH, LNN)

b. Disease (Avian Flu)

Implications: Look for those BioTech Co. with exisiting drugs and/or decent pipeline (i.e. GILD, RHHBY, GSK, IOMI, etc.)

3. Peak Oil

a. Energy Efficiency and Conservation

Implications: Transportation demand shift - Mass commuting (light & heavy rail - BNI, CNI, UNP) Urbanization - Population shift from suburbs to city.

Increased application of telecommuting: (T, VZ, CSCO, MSFT, etc.)

Alternative energy and efficiency companies (Popular ones - Solar, Wind, Coal to Liquids - pick one) Lesser known group is the Carbon Fiber mfgs and Electrical Infrastructure companies (ZOLT, GTI, AZZ)

b. Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) and Infrastructure Maintenance

This is the Oil Services group and related(Favorites are CLB, TTES, BHI, MDR, etc.)

It is anyone's guess as to the timing but it helps to have sectors to watch for fund flows."

Archived