Happy Holiday Weak End Bears

The Zen-like chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve might not have topped the list solely for turning his superb academic career into a blueprint for action, for single-handedly reinventing the role of a central bank, or for preventing the collapse of the U.S. economy. But to have done all of these within the span of a few months is certainly one of the greatest intellectual feats of recent years. Not long ago a Princeton University professor writing paper after paper on the Great Depression, "Helicopter Ben" spent 2009 dropping hundreds of billions in bailouts seemingly from the skies, vigilantly tracking interest rates, and coordinating with counterparts across the globe. His key insight? The need for massive, damn-the-torpedoes intervention in financial markets. Winning over critics who have since praised his "radical" moves (including Nouriel Roubini, No. 4 on this list), he now faces an uphill battle in his bid for permanently expanded Fed powers. The radicalism is far from over.

Foreign Policy magazine declares Ben #1 of the worlds top 100 Global Thinkers for 2009. I don't think your view Doc is going to get a lot of traction with the elites.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009...global_thinkers

OK. There may be some confusion here. As prominently featured at the beginning of the article, I didn't write it. It's not my view. But if you are referring to my comment on the WaPo, yes, of course, the elites won't agree with me. Why would they? That's why they're the elite, and I'm not. The issue is whether the people like us can influence those who wield power, whether they agree with us or not. Where it becomes expedient for them to do the right thing, even though at heart they'd prefer otherwise. It's not about them agreeing. It's about bringing enough pressure that it forces them to act.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The National Retail Federation, a trade group, estimated that 195 million people visited shopping malls and online retailers Thursday through Sunday, up from 172 million consumers last year. But the average amount spent per shopper fell nearly 8 percent to $343.31. The estimated overall tally for the four days was $41.2 billion, on par with last year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

end of month show print...depends on the Carry Me trade and the dollar which looks like sheet right now...as I type this the EUR/USD is off to 155....Helo Ben may be at his conformation hearing with the TONY DOW at 11k rates negative..gold at 1300 and the dollar sub 70....

I've seen too many of these "crash without us" moves over the years to wonder if it wasn't some kind of experiment over the holidays to see how freaked out we'll get when the "Carry Me" trade blows up....the Yabba dabba Doobye news was actually old news..cars abandoned by fleeing foreigners were reported in January.....Oz figures they have a holiday to let the rest of the globe pay for it,,,,then withstand a half of day of trading by the pigmens janitors and kids....

When this mini burp hit and things looked pretty bad, the first thing I thought of was the next 3 1/2 of 4 days could be filled with bogus propaganda to deflect the flying poo....pretty much is a page torn out of the 1999-2000 "Managing the Mania Handbook for Federal Reserve Governors"......long way until morning but no way Europe doesn't rocket barring some bad news on the ski slopes in the desert....

I do notice something tonight...gold is lagging the euphoria a little but just may be late to catch up...the correlation seems to be weak or non existent tonight compared to other nights...after the first EUR stick it flattened out...moves like this last week would have it up 20 in a blink.

Latest Story

Stick Save Right on Schedule – Professional Edition

November 29, 2009 By Lee Adler We’re getting a little bounce in the overnight markets but… Click here to download complete report in pdf format (Professional Edition Subscribers). Try the Professional Edition risk free for thirty days. If, within that time, you don’t find the information useful, I will give you a full refund. It’s that simple. Click here for more information.

The National Retail Federation, a trade group, estimated that 195 million people visited shopping malls and online retailers Thursday through Sunday, up from 172 million consumers last year. But the average amount spent per shopper fell nearly 8 percent to $343.31. The estimated overall tally for the four days was $41.2 billion, on par with last year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

The 23 million more people (than last year) visiting malls consist entirely of beggars wearing faux Salvation Army uniforms, squads of SWAT officers discouraging mall terrorists, ex-bank employees dealing/buying illicit drugs, or Zhu Zhu crazed miscreants looking for a high tech gerbil experience.

No real new buying, IMO.

Archived